Chick with cross beak *pics*

Thank you so much for the help! I have good news!!! The two survivors chickens are very healthy!

A week later the incident and her beak came back to normal position and she seems to be eating normally. I didn't gave her any medicine, because she seems to have had no pain (well, she wasn't complaining). I just feeded her very well and gave a little bit extra calcium mixed at her food.

I am looking foward to get other female chickens, I am just waiting they grow a little bit more.

I wish I could post pics from her (and her brother) but the internet connection it's not working out now, later I try again.

Luiza.

I also have a cross beak...how do you trim their beaks??

She is so sweet and do not want to put her down....thanks!!

I believe there might be videos on YouTube. I lost one Araucanians hen many years ago because I didn't know how to take care of her. My favorite old RIR Han is blind and has a growth at the hinge of her beak which has made it cross slightly. I trim the upper bill when it gets too long. You carefully use nail trimmers to slowly trim little bits. Not too much or it hurts and she can't eat. I also made sure (for last 2 years ) she has received extra food away from the others- no competition. We actually just purchased a small coop that can fit 2 hens and put here there. She continues to thrive - I also give her over the counter chicken vitamin drops.

Good luck

This baby is 2-3

days old ,can anyone tell if something is wrong with its beak? Thanks! can you tell from this pic?

Hey everyone.... I'm new to this site, just joined. We recently got a variety of chicks. When they weren't too old, our Americauna chick started to develop cross beak. I didn't know what it was called, and we tried several different things to try and fix it. As she grew, it got worse. This chicken, Ester, developed quite the personality. The attached photo was taken about a week before she perished.

Ester thought she was either a human or a dog. She liked to play with our German Shepherd. She would help me garden (and I would try to hand feed her worms - which didn't work)... She was so much smaller than the other chicks, and could squeeze out of the chicken coop wires easily - she used this to her advantage and was always coming out to be with the people, or the dog. We were worried that she would train the dog to hold the dog door open, and that we'd be sleeping at night and suddenly Ester would jump up onto our bed and want to snuggle. That didn't happen, but we wouldn't have been surprised if it did. It was amazing how much personality that little deformed chicken had. I didn't discover this thread until after she was gone. It's been good to read about other people's experiences with crossbeaked chickens. Anyway, I just wanted to share my favorite picture of Ester.

Raindrop I don't know if you've had anybody help you with this yet but I saw a video on YouTube of someone trimming a bird with a crossed beak. I also had someone tell me that when they're tiny baby checks that you can wrap a little thin piece of Band-Aid around there beak three hours a day one hour at a time and that it can grow the way that it should be. I have a new baby chick that has that problem and that's what I am trying.

This is a picture of my poor baby chick. Not only does she have the one problem but she also only has one eye. Everything else was fine with her no problems with her feet she gets around greatbut she has this awful problem.i'll let you know how it works she's only one day old. And they say it's just like therapy that since she's so small is should be able to be taken care of with the Band-Aid trick. I hope you find out or saw a video on crossed beak

Last edited:
This is one of my salmon favorelle chicks, standard size from Ideal. She is 4 days old. How much worse will her beak get if it looks like this at this age? So far she is doing just fine, no problems eating or drinking and is growing and active. Her stool is normal. It does not seem to have gotten any worse over the past 2 days since I first noticed it.

IMG_3667.jpg

IMG_3666.jpg

Laura, I have read several postings and articles and it didn't say anything about high temperatures in the incubator causing Crossbeak. They did say that it was genetic.

I recently acquired an EE that started developing a crossed beak at about 5 days old. it has been progressing the past few days and is more noticeable now at 12 days old. Its very sad, but i am encouraged that she (sold as pullet) can live a semi normal, albeit short, life. Hope to get a few (eating) eggs out of her before her time comes.

Her name is Edward Scissorbeak.

Back
Top Bottom