Chick with green legs...

sday615

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 10, 2013
[/IMG]
So I have 5 baby chicks, two buff orpingtons, two Dominique's and one Easter egger...until recently I thought I knew who was who but 3 weeks later maybe I'm wrong, the biggest chick I thought was a buff Orpington has almost white feathers and...green legs? She's the only one with green legs so is she the Easter egger maybe? What do you think? Thanks :)

Well, the only breed I know of that has green legs is an aurcana. I have never actually seen it before. Wierd, but cool.

Well, the only breed I know of that has green legs is an aurcana. I have never actually seen it before. Wierd, but cool.
Hmmm... Maybe they sent me one aurcana instead of an Easter egger? She does seem to have the puffy cheek/mustache look...

Yeah, she is looking more and more like an aurcana the longer I look at her. I think that's what you have.

I've had my suspicions about her from the start those puffy cheeks and then the green legs... lol seems like a sweetie either way! And seems like she's going to be a big girl! (If she's even a girl...maybe she'll really surprise me and be a roo too!)

I thought Americanas or whatever variation of that name the hatchery uses is an easter egger. Am I wrong?

Here is from the hatchery I got mine from:

http://hoovershatchery.com/baby-chicks/americana.html

Yes - the purposeful misspelling of the breed name is common with hatcheries passing off EE as pure bred chickens -- the "i" is the tell. But it is also a common spelling error made by people who do believe they have true/pure bred Ameraucana birds - and it can be difficult to tell if that misspelling is purposeful when it's posted (by someone who knows it's code for EE) or accidental (by someone thinking htey are posting about the true birds). The poster who you quoted, though, was responding to the assertion that this bird might be an actual Ameraucana - which is the pure breed and does not have green legs....and also on the issue of Araucana, again this bird does not have the breed appropriate characteristics, so that too is eliminated - regarding Big yellow's responses.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom