Chick with slipped tendon?

Sorry that I haven’t kept up with your thread until now. Is that a bumble foot scab on her left footpad? Do you think the joint in her leg is swollen? She might be injured, but if her foot pad has a scab that might be why she is limping. Have you ever had Mareks in your flock before? That is sweet about Big Buff being her bodyguard.

Sorry that I haven’t kept up with your thread until now. Is that a bumble foot scab on her left footpad? Do you think the joint in her leg is swollen? She might be injured, but if her foot pad has a scab that might be why she is limping. Have you ever had Mareks in your flock before? That is sweet about Big Buff being her bodyguard.
I looked at her foot pad. It's swollen, but I can't feel any scabs. Might have to feel again though. It seems to be swollen from the hock down.

No, I have never had Mareks in my flock. Never intend to, though.

I looked at her foot pad. It's swollen, but I can't feel any scabs. Might have to feel again though. It seems to be swollen from the hock down.

No, I have never had Mareks in my flock. Never intend to, though.
I have confirmed, no scabs. It is just swollen. The hock is also swollen. No mareks either, but after reading an article about it I think my favorite chicken Lhicken died because of mareks. She was displaying some of the symptoms (i.e. wasting away, getting paralyzed in one leg).
But, Muffin isn't doing that. But her bodyguard is getting bullied by the lead cockerel. I want to conk the lead guy over the head, so that Muffin doesn't get stepped on by her sister and brother so much.

Muffin seems more comfortable when her feet aren't touching the ground. Another worry that I have is that what if her hocks (and chest) get injured from sitting on the ground so much. I'm raising meat chickens and the meaties are getting sores on their hocks from sitting. Just wondering, would a sling be so bad?

I would limit her activity to see if her leg improves. Antibiotics may help if she has a joint infection with bumblefoot. Slings are helpful if they will stay in them and tolerate them, and not injure themselves getting out. Take her out often to rest and sleep. But they are great for eating since you can put food and water within reach.

I would limit her activity to see if her leg improves. Antibiotics may help if she has a joint infection with bumblefoot. Slings are helpful if they will stay in them and tolerate them, and not injure themselves getting out. Take her out often to rest and sleep. But they are great for eating since you can put food and water within reach.
Thanks I will try it. What do I make a sling out of?

Amoxicillin is easy enough to get as Aqua Mox online for fish. Clindamycin or cephalexin might be good if it was a bone infection. But since there is no scab, it may be a sprain or injury.

Back
Top Bottom