Chick with sudden twisted neck

Iziayia

Chirping
5 Years
Oct 2, 2014
Ottawa, On
I came in this afternoon to check on one chicks and I saw what I can only describe as a chick that was corkscrewing its head back in a contorting way.

Its barely a week old, 6 days, a gold laced Wyandotte. I've been feeding them a non-medicated starter and they have vitamins added to the water.

I have no clue what to do, don't really want to cull it if I don't have to, keeping it seperste

It is wry neck or encephalomalacia, which can be from a vitamin E and selenium deficiency. Poultry vitamins including 25mcg of selenium daily should be given. Vitamin B1 (thiamine) is also good to give, and is usually already in poultry vitamins. Help the chick to eat and drink to get enough nutrition.

Last edited:
So there is possibility for recovery? I've been feeding it and giving it vitamins. I just find it weird that it was only the one chick, everyone else is fine but jut in case I increased the vitamin I'm giving them in their water.

Everywhere I've been reading about wry neck the birds still seem to be able to walk, but my chick is completely helpless and just keeps rolling over and over. I guess if it doesn't get better by Monday I will have to euthanize it.

I ended up having to cull the poor chick. After almost a week and a half of giving it supplements like you suggested, it just still wasn't getting any better so I made the decision. However I thank you very much for the advice; it was a good learning experience and will know what my options are if it ever occurs again.

You're welcome, and I am sorry that you lost the chick. At least you gave it a good chance, and some just don't get better.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom