Chicken… Crowing?

EChicky

Songster
Jun 14, 2023
Hi. Our black jersey giant, who has been laying for months now, was making a very large racket this morning. She was standing outside the window screaming at us, and it sounded like crowing. We don’t have a rooster, so why is she doing this?

Are you sure it wasn't an egg song?
Hens can crow, but it's fairly rare. It's only happened to me once and I've owned hundreds of birds.

I’m pretty sure. Every time she did it her feathers got ruffled and she threw her head back. I have a video. Do you know how to upload it?

Sometimes hens crow particularly if there's no rooster around. They may also take up other rooster behaviors. In any case, I wouldn't worry about it, it's just something that happens from time to time

I’m pretty sure. Every time she did it her feathers got ruffled and she threw her head back. I have a video. Do you know how to upload it?
Uploading it to YouTube is the easiest way. I think there's also a way to do it in the Gallery. Let me check on that for you.

1 of my 3 chickens has started crowing.

Is there any recommendations on how to encourage her to stop ?

I mean its not so bad for me, just we are in a Town and the neighbours may or may not be as chilled.

Back
Top Bottom