Chicken acting weird...heat related?

amberlkuntz

Chirping
Jul 8, 2022
So I had started a thread back in July about a chicken (my kids so kindly named Miss No Neck) that was holding her neck in after a high temp 4th of July weekend here in Kansas (the grey one by the fence on the right side of the picture). We ended up putting her back in with her friends a few days after she started doing it and in about 2 weeks, she was acting normal again. Well, we had another heat wave come through and she is doing it again, BUT this time on the 3rd day (today) of her doing it, I found her inside the coop in the morning not able to walk normal. She was stumbling a lot. I was able to pick her up pretty easily and put her in a crate. She was walking and running normal last night. I pulled her out this morning. They are 16 weeks old. I'm leaning towards vitamin deficiency after the hot weather. Does that seem reasonable? Also, she isn't maturing like all the others. All the other chickens (both her breed and the other breed I have) have a red comb and wattles (fairly large ones or at least the start of some) and she has nothing at all. Is there possibly something wrong with her internally? The first time this happened I was worried about Mareck's, but she wasn't really having issues walking like this and snapped out of it and was normal (the only way I could tell the difference between them was her lack of comb and wattles) for almost a month until she started doing the no neck thing again. What are your thoughts?
20220816_115248.jpg

The comb growth can vary and means little as far as health. Color can give us clues. But it does sound like this pullet is more sensitive to heat and needs treatment for heat stroke and dehydration. She does have all the symptoms.

Give her electrloytes with a little added sugar or Gatoraid or a cup of water and a teaspoon of sugar and a pinch of salt and baking soda until her symptoms abate.

Back
Top Bottom