Chicken Attack

Not sure but DH found one dead in the run area and one in the coop with its head missing this morning. We have no idea how anything got in. We are reworking it to be sure not even a fly can get in.

I agree, coons tend to eat the heads, opossums kill and chew on chickens, but only if the opossum finds a sleeping chicken.

I agree, coons tend to eat the heads, opossums kill and chew on chickens, but only if the opossum finds a sleeping chicken.[/quote . Last night I heard a rucuss in my coop. When I went out there was an oppusum in there. I know it was not in there when I put them up. I have to check the nest boxes every evening and I would have seen it. We are going over the whole coop. I only have about 2 roosters and 4 hens left after the bug dig attack, and I would really like to keep what's left. And get more this spring. Thanks to my friend chickenlover47 I have the best book to choose from.

I believe we have found the culprits. Down the road a bit some guy moved a beat up trailer in and he has a herd of Chihuahuas he lets run loose. My husband found 3 of them down here this morning and also 2 more dead chickens. I think we have everything boarded and blocked off now. Lets see, 1 CCL pullet, one Welsumer pullet and 2 English Orp pullets. Over $100 worth of chickens.

I believe we have found the culprits.  Down the road a bit some guy moved a beat up trailer in and he has a herd of Chihuahuas he lets run loose.  My husband found 3 of them down here this morning and also 2 more dead chickens.  I think we have everything boarded and blocked off now.  Lets see, 1 CCL pullet, one Welsumer pullet and 2 English Orp pullets.  Over $100 worth of chickens.
Oh jlynnp I'm so sorry to hear if you lose. Just about 3 weeks ago I lost 1leghorn (one of my best layers) blue lace, barred rock, wyondette, 4 white jap bantams to a big dog. Plus more damages I won't speak of right no . But when its over I will be able to give details. The dog owner is responsible for your loss. I know it doesn't replace the love you have for your birds! Since you notified the dog owner if it comes back you have the right to protect your flock. I feel very sad for you. I know exactly what you are going through. :(
{{{{HUGS TO YOU }}}}}{

As far as getting $$ for the loss, it is not likely to happen. The shack he lived in was demolished by the ice storm. SO far we have not seen them again.

Back
Top Bottom