Chicken Attacked by Mountain Lion

Aug 27, 2019
Hi All! Quick little insight.

We let our girls free range under supervision since we lost one girl to, what we thought was a fox, but turns out we have a mountain lion living in the woods behind our home. last night, I went to move one of the hens from the edge of the woods and a mountain lion leaped 3 feet from me, grab our girl, I screamed like hell and fortunately he/she released her. She has two lacerations which we are treating but today she is just down, not eating, hanging head sleeping.

I’m going to assume this is normal from the obvious stress/trauma but was wondering who has had their chickens traumatized and how did they react?

thanks for your help.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    640 KB · Views: 56
Ok..thanks. We live in NE Kansas.

Are you sure it was a Mt lion and not a bobcat? They are very rare in Kansas, but it's definitely possible.

Either way, put out a game camera and see if you can get a pic. Definitely keep the chickens in a secure run. Letting you get within a few feet and grabbing a chicken is rather concerning weather it's a Mt lion or bobcat.

Are you sure it was a Mt lion and not a bobcat? They are very rare in Kansas, but it's definitely possible.

Either way, put out a game camera and see if you can get a pic. Definitely keep the chickens in a secure run. Letting you get within a few feet and grabbing a chicken is rather concerning weather it's a Mt lion or bobcat.
I’m positive it was a mountain lion. I grew up in CA and I know the difference. This is the second time we saw it. My husband saw it 3 weeks ago observing our ducks that were in their pen. it had a long tail With black tip and no spots. Smooth tan coloring. This was the same animal I saw yesterday.
I think with me walking up just as it pounced is why I got so close. It had been stalking our hens.
Our jersey giant kept making loud noises, almost alerting the flock.
We have a camera up and they are secure. Thank you! ☺️

I’m positive it was a mountain lion. I grew up in CA and I know the difference. This is the second time we saw it. My husband saw it 3 weeks ago observing our ducks that were in their pen. it had a long tail With black tip and no spots. Smooth tan coloring. This was the same animal I saw yesterday.
I think with me walking up just as it pounced is why I got so close. It had been stalking our hens.
Our jersey giant kept making loud noises, almost alerting the flock.
We have a camera up and they are secure. Thank you! ☺

Hopefully you can get a pic. If you do please post it.
Glad the flock is secure.
Does Kansas law allow you to shoot critters that are killing your flock?

If your into homeopathic first aid.. I have found (Acon ) Aconite works really well for fear situations. I use to reach for Arnica as first choice first aid, and I still do,, . A vet introduced using the Acon first when treating one of my dogs through an infection that she was so distressed. Loved the results for how relaxed and able to sleep peacefully.

Hope your girl recovers, hope your feeling ok too.. Way too close for comfort.

Back
Top Bottom