Chicken Attacked by Mountain Lion

Been around chickens a long time but gotta say this is the first I've heard of a cougar attacking them. Must be a really desperate lion to waste the energy on something that small. I'd look for it coming back. Might want to check the local laws on dispatching one. Often animals like that have different rules than more common nuisance animals. Your states wildlife management might even want to come out and remove it for you. Honestly I would give them a call and explain it's attacking your livestock. I'd almost bet they send somebody out with a large trap.

Been around chickens a long time but gotta say this is the first I've heard of a cougar attacking them. Must be a really desperate lion to waste the energy on something that small. I'd look for it coming back. Might want to check the local laws on dispatching one. Often animals like that have different rules than more common nuisance animals. Your states wildlife management might even want to come out and remove it for you. Honestly I would give them a call and explain it's attacking your livestock. I'd almost bet they send somebody out with a large trap.

I agree. I would call your closest DNR/Wildlife Management office and express your concerns. Our local DNR denies we have any mountain lions in our area, but they have been secretly trying to reintroduce the cougars to the area to manage the deer population. I don't think I could personally bring myself to putting down a mountain lion, even if it was killing my backyard flock. But I would think our local DNR would try to trap it and relocate it to a location less populated. They do that with bears who decide to go dumpster diving in, or around town where people live.

Frankly, I would be more concerned that my small backyard flock was attracting a mountain lion that could potentially attack a family member, or me.... I used to live in CA and rode my bike on the mountain trails. We also went in small groups as mountain lions had been known to attack riders on the trail by themselves.

In your case, I'd keep the chickens behind fences in the daytime and locked up in the coop at night. I hope the lion moves on and does not bother you anymore, but call the DNR just the same.

If your into homeopathic first aid.. I have found (Acon ) Aconite works really well for fear situations. I use to reach for Arnica as first choice first aid, and I still do,, . A vet introduced using the Acon first when treating one of my dogs through an infection that she was so distressed. Loved the results for how relaxed and able to sleep peacefully.

Hope your girl recovers, hope your feeling ok too.. Way too close for comfort.
Thank you!! I will definitely look this up. I don’t usually buy homeopathic but I am not against it. She seeemed to be doing a better in the afternoon, more alert, eating/drinking some. Yeah, it was pretty crazy. Thank you again!

I did call them and they didn’t seem to interested. They said if I don’t have a photo then it’s not much they will do. Even if we do have proof they will just document it. I totally understand the proof thing but when it’s 3 feet in front of you, I think I would know. Lol! It seemed to be a smaller one..could have been juvenile. This is the second time one of our chickens were snatched in this manner. We can defend ourselves and property so guess I’ll have to carry with me next time. Thanks for your input.

I agree. I would call your closest DNR/Wildlife Management office and express your concerns. Our local DNR denies we have any mountain lions in our area, but they have been secretly trying to reintroduce the cougars to the area to manage the deer population. I don't think I could personally bring myself to putting down a mountain lion, even if it was killing my backyard flock. But I would think our local DNR would try to trap it and relocate it to a location less populated. They do that with bears who decide to go dumpster diving in, or around town where people live.

Frankly, I would be more concerned that my small backyard flock was attracting a mountain lion that could potentially attack a family member, or me.... I used to live in CA and rode my bike on the mountain trails. We also went in small groups as mountain lions had been known to attack riders on the trail by themselves.

In your case, I'd keep the chickens behind fences in the daytime and locked up in the coop at night. I hope the lion moves on and does not bother you anymore, but call the DNR just the same.
Where do you reside? My husband said he read a blog that they reintroduced mtn lions here to control the population of deer but they don’t mention this. Could be hearsay.
I called but they said they won’t trap it and I don’t have any proof....just a crazy lady! Ha ha

I know what I saw but I get it. They said they get calls and it turns out to be bobcats.
I’ll be keeping them in their pen during the day. They have a very large space anyway.
Thanks for you advice! Appreciate it

In upstate NY where I live we have Mt lions, but DEC denies they are here. I've seen one a few yrs ago. I've got friends who had game cam pics of one. DEC said it was a bobcat with a " abnormally" long tail. Lol.

Hi All! Quick little insight.

We let our girls free range under supervision since we lost one girl to, what we thought was a fox, but turns out we have a mountain lion living in the woods behind our home. last night, I went to move one of the hens from the edge of the woods and a mountain lion leaped 3 feet from me, grab our girl, I screamed like hell and fortunately he/she released her. She has two lacerations which we are treating but today she is just down, not eating, hanging head sleeping.

I’m going to assume this is normal from the obvious stress/trauma but was wondering who has had their chickens traumatized and how did they react?

thanks for your help.
I had a young chick about 4-6 weeks old attacked by a hawk last fall. I saw the hawk in the run and ran to it as it flew off without a chick. I was counting the chicks and was missing one, as I saw it lying there looking like it was dead. I picked her up, she was alive. I checked for injuries, she had nothing visible to me. I figured the hawk chased her and she collapsed out of fear. I put her down and she walked a few feet and then just stopped and stood there. I assumed she was traumatized. For the next five days she wouldn’t eat or drink. I went and bought her a vitamin supplement that had a dropper. I begin feeding her several times a day with water and vitamins. She only stood still. No participation in any chick activity with the others. Finally on the fifth day she began to eat very little, the next day preening. She survived but I think she may have had some head trauma or eardrum. She has some slight issues, I don’t want to bore you with more details. She is a great egg layer 🙏🏻

Yeah the game and fish here was releasing them to help with deer and trying to keep it secret. Kept denying it until enough people started showing game camera pictures and videos of them. Even now they finally admitted they are out there but claims they are not breeding. Again enough photos of lions with cubs to prove they are lying yet again and they are trying to backtrack.

I'd get a cheap game cam and set it up for pictures. Sounds like they might be up to something they don't want public. Get pictures and start posting them all over their facebook page and it will make them come clean and do something. What we had to do here.

In upstate NY where I live we have Mt lions, but DEC denies they are here. I've seen one a few yrs ago. I've got friends who had game cam pics of one. DEC said it was a bobcat with a " abnormally" long tail. Lol.
Well of course b/c they would know best. Lol!! Wonder if it had spots...bobcats are spotted...this One was smooth tan fur.

Back
Top Bottom