Chicken Breed Focus - Ameraucana

Pics
Hi All;
As you can see, I'm a new egg. I don't even have any chickens yet! I've been doing some studying and planning for when I can start my flock. I have the book "Storey's' Guide to RAISING CHICKENS" as recommended by a fellow BYC'er. I have the coop/tractor picked out and ready to order once I'm in my new home end of August/early September. I've decided I want Ameraucanas! Specifically, blue, lavender, buff and black. My only quandary? Do I want FS or Bantams? I'm raising mainly for eggs but will also want to eat the occasional cull. The main questions: Are bantam Ameraucanas really worth butchering/eating or are they just a bit small to make them worthwhile? Thanks in advance for your thoughts and answers. Happy clucking! :D

With a pre-fab coop, be careful not to get too many birds for it. They only house half of what they claim to. Ameraucana do not come in buff. They are available in Wheaten. Lavender is a project color, so it will take a bit of searching to find a good breeder. The only hatchery that you can order Ameraucana and actually get pure Ameraucana is Meyer. They do have Blues, but if you order blue, there is a chance that you will end up with splash or black instead since blue does not breed true. Most hatcheries that sell "Ameraucana" are actually selling Easter Eggers. If you want pure Ameraucana, research breeders carefully and be prepared to pay at least $20 to $30 per chick.

Hello and welcome to BYC! I am still fairly new to chickens myself, but I have done a great deal of reading and the colors you describe sound more like Orpingtons than Ameraucanas to me. I completely defer to Junebuggena on breed details, as I find his/her posts to be some of the most informational on this site.

I have 12 full size hens of varying breeds, a bantam hen (Serama) and a bantam roo (also Serama). My bantams are TINY, and so are the eggs, so if you are adding a flock mostly for eggs and the occasional meat bird, just know that bantams give you less product.

With a pre-fab coop, be careful not to get too many birds for it. They only house half of what they claim to. Ameraucana do not come in buff. They are available in Wheaten. Lavender is a project color, so it will take a bit of searching to find a good breeder. The only hatchery that you can order Ameraucana and actually get pure Ameraucana is Meyer. They do have Blues, but if you order blue, there is a chance that you will end up with splash or black instead since blue does not breed true. Most hatcheries that sell "Ameraucana" are actually selling Easter Eggers. If you want pure Ameraucana, research breeders carefully and be prepared to pay at least $20 to $30 per chick.

According to http://www.ameraucana.org/standard.html They come in Buff. And I know I've seen buffs at the shows.

Yes, ameraucana come in buff.  See my avatar.  The standard colors are:

black
blue
blue wheaten
brown red
buff
silver
wheaten
white

Thanks for all the wonderful input! Full size from Meyer or private breeder it is then. ;-) And yes, I had figured that they would state coop capacity rather generously. I am planning on starting with 5-6 hens and 1 rooster. The coop I want is supposed to house 12 -15 chickens. I am going to be adding wheels to it and a run, as well. Once I get my flock started, we'll have some time to build another, larger coop & run to expand into. I'm joining the Ameraucana Breeders Club as well and will be checking out the breeders directory as a resource. "Cluck, cluck" ;-D

Just be aware that if you are planning to breed to standard, you need to keep each color separate. Otherwise, you will be producing Easter Eggers. 5 to 6 hens are not going to be enough for a young cockerel. I suggest getting females first, then find a rooster once your flock is older and established. Teenage boys can be quite a handful for new chicken owners.

I keep 6 to 7 hens per rooster and have done so for several decades. I had started with more but found my roosters would choose their favorites and several hens and pullets would be left alone.
I just did a quick count and most of my breeding pens have 5 girls to a rooster or cockerel. None of my AM girls are overbred and every pen gets a chance to free range every day.

I don't plan to breed for show but I do want to aim for breed standards so I will be attempting to start by breeding one color to a pen. That way, I should have some idea of what to expect.
1f64f.png
1f61c.png

Back
Top Bottom