Chicken Breed Focus - Ameraucana

The question being the quality Ameraucana obtained.
My acquisitions came from two feed stores in WA. Probably different breeders, but the resulting eggs were the same.
Now I have seen more brightly colored eggs and must assume that the chick source was better or that you ended up buying some proven hens with good colored eggs. Expensive ... and then you still need a good rooster to match. Will post my 80 percenter.
SO ... I might buy some from -
1. nearby fertile eggs from good egg coloration stock.
2. from a hatchery.
Leading to the question, which hatchery has given the best results for you?
Ameracana rooster.jpg

Nothing stupid about the question. The Ameracauna is a relatively new breed that may have little pure Aracauna DNA in it. (Not 'truth in advertising' at all! Name grabbers.)
Was created by involving other chicken breeds. Easter Eggers seem to be Ameracaunas that don't quite fit the breeders bill. Blueish eggs and they may have most of the Ameracauna features but something is off.
Feet color, ear tufts, muff or in my case the comb. I think some of it is cock snobbery but then they are trying to keep the breed 'pure' and with set standards.
Technically, if you breed a pure blood Aracauna to an Ameracauna the breeder association would not accept it as an Ameracauna. They probably would call it an Easter Egger. Dumb IMO.

By the way I LOVE those black hens. Lovely birds. Wish I had them. Hear the lay darker blue eggs generally. Is that true?
I am hoping for some 'Olive Egger' crosses with my Ameracauna Rooster and not the common Marans but with some Speckled Sussex. We will see.
Cross with Faverolle hens is very nice. I had that cross with purebred Aracauna back in the 70's. Was an nice cross. 'Favacauna' or 'Aracerolle'

Nothing stupid about the question. The Ameracauna is a relatively new breed that may have little pure Aracauna DNA in it. (Not 'truth in advertising' at all! Name grabbers.)
Was created by involving other chicken breeds. Easter Eggers seem to be Ameracaunas that don't quite fit the breeders bill. Blueish eggs and they may have most of the Ameracauna features but something is off.
Feet color, ear tufts, muff or in my case the comb. I think some of it is cock snobbery but then they are trying to keep the breed 'pure' and with set standards.
Technically, if you breed a pure blood Aracauna to an Ameracauna the breeder association would not accept it as an Ameracauna. They probably would call it an Easter Egger. Dumb IMO.
Thank you for your help!!

Back
Top Bottom