Chicken Breed Focus - Ancona

Wow, very pretty breed!
smile.png

x2

Oh my. Well she is pretty.

Here's a rooster... Not mine, snagged the pic online...
anconaroo3.jpg

I saw an opening for a learning experience lol ;)

Note how the rooster has long pointy feathers on his neck (hackle), and tail... Also how much bigger his comb is and how erect he's standing...

Common misconception about big combs=roos; Ancona hens do have big, beautiful, rooster-y looking C mbs, but the tails are the most notable characteristic of males, IMO. :)

Edit* sorry about the tiny picture lol

Last edited:
Here's a rooster... Not mine, snagged the pic online...
anconaroo3.jpg

I saw an opening for a learning experience lol
wink.png

Note how the rooster has long pointy feathers on his neck (hackle), and tail... Also how much bigger his comb is and how erect he's standing...

Common misconception about big combs=roos; Ancona hens do have big, beautiful, rooster-y looking C mbs, but the tails are the most notable characteristic of males, IMO.
smile.png

Edit* sorry about the tiny picture lol
Ahh Yes I see.
Thank You,
Steven

I agree, very pretty birds! The wild, flighty, nature probably wouldn't work for me though as I love them as pets :p plus suburbia despite our 3 acres (only one with it) so I can't have them but maybe eventually I can.

as for the hatchery, My Pet Chicken and I believe Strombergs too are actually brokers/middle men not actual hatcheries. I know My Pet Chicken mostly gets them from Meyer Hatchery (excellent hatchery, I'm getting my first birds from there the end of this month) but no clue about Stromberg.

I agree, very pretty birds! The wild, flighty, nature probably wouldn't work for me though as I love them as pets
tongue.png
plus suburbia despite our 3 acres (only one with it) so I can't have them but maybe eventually I can.

as for the hatchery, My Pet Chicken and I believe Strombergs too are actually brokers/middle men not actual hatcheries. I know My Pet Chicken mostly gets them from Meyer Hatchery (excellent hatchery, I'm getting my first birds from there the end of this month) but no clue about Stromberg.

Thank You for the Hatchery information.
Steven

Back
Top Bottom