Chicken breeds of years ago

May 9, 2020
Clark County, KY
I posted a similar topic a year or two ago, but with different folks coming on to the forum at various times and new folks joining, I thought I would post again.
We are on a 7th generation farm and history and agriculture ways of the past are interesting to me.
My grandparents had Barred Rocks and probably single combed Dominiques, most farm folks still refer to all of the barred birds as Domineckers.
My mother said that’s the only kind they had while she was growing up. In later years they kept white leghorns. For sone reason, she never did say why, but she was always adamant that they never had any red chickens. When I would be selecting new chickens she was always opposed to getting red ones.
I’ve also heard from a few other folks that they had Buff Orpingtons when they were growing up.
I’ve also heard of Minorcas as being a favorite.
What are some breeds of chickens that your parents, grandparents had or maybe you’ve heard other folks talking about chickens years ago?

My mom has told us about her grandmother (my great grandmother) keeping "Dominecker" chickens in the 50s and probably before. Unfortunately, we haven't been able to uncover pictures of her flock but from my understanding they raised all their own meat and eggs.

Last edited:
Some of my relatives in Colombia ( Where cockfighting is still legal ) have raised gamefowl for many years, and probably some flocks of mixed free-ranging birds. One of my grand uncles apparently has a farm where he breeds gamefowl. Never met the guy, but would love too, and experience his birds.

My avatar picture is my grandmother on my Dads side. This old black and white picture shows her feeding all white chickens. I would assume they were white leghorns. This picture is from the forties I think. She had twelve kids and they were very self sufficient. Had an orchard, raised pigs and had cows. This was probably during the depression days. This was in far northeast Oklahoma. She was Native American x French Canadian and her father spoke French and sang songs to the kids in French. I absolutely love this picture. ❤️
IMG_1189.jpeg

My avatar picture is my grandmother on my Dads side. This old black and white picture shows her feeding all white chickens. I would assume they were white leghorns. This picture is from the forties I think. She had twelve kids and they were very self sufficient. Had an orchard, raised pigs and had cows. This was probably during the depression days. This was in far northeast Oklahoma. She was Native American x French Canadian and her father spoke French and sang songs to the kids in French. I absolutely love this picture. ❤️View attachment 3540635
There are a few dark ones mixed in and I THINK I see the tail
Feathers of a barred rock too

Back
Top Bottom