Chicken Breed Focus - Appenzeller Spitzhauben

Pics
I've found that each broody hen is different.

Bantam Orp- frequent broody - keeps her chicks very close, has great control, & protective. But only accepts chicks she thinks she hatched. If I try to add a chick at 3 days old, she'd attack it as an intruder. All 6 times she went broody, she hatched exactly 7 LF eggs. (Even when I gave her 6, she stole & hatched an extra egg. Add 8 eggs & still only 7 hatch.) Of course she can't count, so she was great when 2 dozen chicks needed a mama.
IMG_9340.JPG

Sebright- frequent broody- Can't read, so she doesn't know Sebrights don't go broody. Loves to play Mommy & goes exploring. Allows her chick lots of freedom & even takes them under/over the fence to visit the neighbors. Will accept chicks at any age & at any time while broody. Will try to adopt/steal chicks. Doesn't like to let go, so she cares for them until they're 7 weeks & 3xs her size. LOL She was hatched by Cookie'.
IMG_2588 copy.jpg

Princess- once a year broody - like Cookie, adopted chicks can only be added shortly after hatch. Perfect broody because she's a LF & top of pecking order. Her chicks will make any hen run when the littles approach the feeder (because they know Mama's not far behind.) LOL The entire flock helps care & protect any of her entitled chicks. IMG_3826.JPG

Oopsie- It's her 1st time, but she adopted about 30 chicks of all ages. Anything that peeps & needs warmth is invited. - even quail! She was hatched by Princesses.
IMG_0657.jpg

Now what I haven't been able to figure out is how to make them go broody when I want! Because I have many possible broodies now, I really don't want more. Sooooo What does my sweet DD do? Yep, she hatched & fell in love with a silkie.

My sebright is the same way. She raised a little speckled sussex and I thought she would never wean him. She was still trying to sit on him and preen him and such when he was three times her size. I had a picture on here but with the new website I don't know how to show it, if it even still exists.

Yes, Trouble (Sebright) was the same way. She's a bantam, so her eggs are infertile b/c our male is a giant English Orp. We let her hatch 5 & keep 3 chicks. She mothered them until they were pretty large. Very funny to see her tell them what to do when they looked like giants compared to her.
IMG_3558.jpg IMG_3562.jpg

I have 4 Brabanters, I am also trying to figure out which are Roos and one campine which are going on 8weeks.

Attachments

• IMG_0983.JPG
    IMG_0983.JPG
    531.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0989.JPG
    IMG_0989.JPG
    366.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0992.JPG
    IMG_0992.JPG
    538.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0994.JPG
    IMG_0994.JPG
    506.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1004.JPG
    IMG_1004.JPG
    429.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1007.JPG
    IMG_1007.JPG
    572.5 KB · Views: 14
I finally got a few pictures of my boy yesterday when I was taking pictures of the birds I am selling. So far I really like him and I'm not too disappointed that he's a he. He's well behaved towards the rest of the flock and I caught him mating with my EE hen the other day and there was no abuse about it like there is with a lot of the other males I've had. He is 14 weeks old.
P1050993.JPG

I have 4 Brabanters, I am also trying to figure out which are Roos and one campine which are going on 8weeks.
2 & 4 would be roos going by what the breeder told me yesterday re:mine. she said the long pointed tail is the give away. BUT 3 out of 4 of mine have that.....and the 4th for some reason she said was DEF a Roo and i don't know why she said that. SHE has NO talk to speak of and just now starting to come out. it looks like it will stick up. NO pink on the wattles yet but the others do and no red by the ears. the others do....do you see ANY pink anywhere on your birds yet?

I finally got a few pictures of my boy yesterday when I was taking pictures of the birds I am selling. So far I really like him and I'm not too disappointed that he's a he. He's well behaved towards the rest of the flock and I caught him mating with my EE hen the other day and there was no abuse about it like there is with a lot of the other males I've had. He is 14 weeks old. View attachment 1027940
and quite stunning i have to say! seriously gorgeous !

Back
Top Bottom