Chicken Breed Focus - Appenzeller Spitzhauben

Pics
It looks like I guessed wrong on which Spitz to keep. I think I have a male, but I'm considering keeping him anyway. I'm just wondering how the males are, as far as aggressiveness towards other males, over-mating the females, etc. So far "he" seems pretty aloof. I don't see much of him when they are free ranging and I suspect he likes to hang out in the trees like the Ancona and Hamburg. He would be a good match/guardian for those flightier breed girls, I think.

x2! :pop I'd also like to know how the well-behaved the males are.

I have a 12 wk old pair that I'm keeping for now. (The male looks better.) I also have another 6 wk female being cared for by my broody. The orig goal was to only keep one female (to replace our beloved "Spitzie"), but it's summer & they take little effort to keep. We'll put off the decision for now.

Two years back I had a pair ... they did well together...no overbreeding. That isn't unusual though...pairs usually do well.

This last year I have had 2 males with 4 females, and I have had ZERO overbreeding issues, and that IS unusual.

Also, the males have at times gotten into my large pen (lots of space, but 3 Americana roosters), and been fine. Or at least they have been able to eat and haven't gotten bloody. Which is good.

I can't remember off hand how good they are with other rooster behaviors like feeding hens, dancing for hens, and protecting hens.

I will ask the kids.

Are spitz roos people aggressive? We have kids, so I need mellow chickens that will ignore children. My orp roos are great. They're big - 11 & 14 lbs - with no desire to challenge people. In spring they may have a little spat with ea other, but never us.

IMG_0702.jpg IMG_0709.jpg IMG_0722.jpg
Here are my 12 wk old spitzes
I like the way the male looks - not so much the female (3rd pic). My former spitz girl had a nice tight crest. This one has more poof. The male is getting more crest height & it's swept forward. I like that look. He's also getting a long tail, but refuses to show it off when the camera comes out.

I do have an 6 wk old spitz. (My broody adopted her.) That little female spitz looks like it may have the type of tight crest I like. These were taken a week ago. The spitz now sleeps next to mama & her 3 wk old "siblings" often sleep under either chicken. With this sort of training, perhaps she'll decide to go broody someday. I'll try to get better pics later.
IMG_0657.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0674.jpg
    IMG_0674.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0670.jpg
    IMG_0670.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
I love Appenzeller Spitzhaubens. I would like some, but i don't have any. They have such an unusual name that when i told my friend that they was a breed called Appenzeller Spitzhauben, they didn't believe me!

I love Appenzeller Spitzhaubens. I would like some, but i don't have any. They have such an unusual name that when i told my friend that they was a breed called Appenzeller Spitzhauben, they didn't believe me!

Yes. Someone was here yesterday to buy chicks. She pointed into the yard at a spitz & asked, "What's that?" After saying the full name, she said, "A what?"

People's reactions are always fun. A rare bird, an interesting / unique look, & a great name with a story. What more could we want? My orig goal was to get white eggs, but I also wanted something uncommon.

Are spitz roos people aggressive? We have kids, so I need mellow chickens that will ignore children. My orp roos are great. They're big - 11 & 14 lbs - with no desire to challenge people. In spring they may have a little spat with each other, but never us.

So far my Spitz roos have been great with my kids.

They have also been pretty gentle with the hens.

I have only had fancy colors though...not sure how much of a difference that makes.

Back
Top Bottom