Chicken Breed Focus - Appenzeller Spitzhauben

I was going through my pics and found one of my pretty Spitzie. She was gorgeous and our daughter trained her to come when called and land on her arm.
Sadly, we lost her to a hawk.
IMG_2905.JPG

The next year we hatched some more Spitzes. My son ended up picking out one that he called HIS chick. He named her Poof Poof. Although not as pretty as Spitzie, she is a very special bird to our son.
IMG_3937.JPG

She runs up to him and jumps into his lap to see if he has any treats for her.
IMG_1704 - Copy.jpg

Over the years, Poof Poof has accompanied him on many backyard adventures. She just loves the spotlight and to pose for photos.
IMG_2714 copy.jpg

IMG_4335.JPG

Last week a friend gave us some more Spitzhauben eggs, so the adventures will continue & perhaps DS's sweet Poof Poof will get a new friend.

I have two of these hens and they are BY FAR the loudest hens I have ever had. I've even had people ask "what kind of rooster is that". They make this crazy almost crowing long sound and just love to chat it up. Lord forbid if one has to jump up on a fence- the entire pasture hears about it in the squabble and bobble.

That said, they really do look like little dalmation chickens with a poofy head. Super unique and I enjoy having them for the 10 minutes a day they're not making noise.
My little Spitzhauben hen Beatrix is the loudest chicken I have ever had. She walks around squawking and yelling, and even screams like a parrot at times. Her mom and aunt were loud, but not like Trixie.. And I am currently raising 2 of her daughters and so far they are quiet.
pair.jpg I do love this breed for multiple reasons: compact size, cuteness, quirkiness, not to mention they are excellent layers.
across the road.jpg
mom and dad.jpg

Attachments

• rooster.jpg
    rooster.jpg
    641.5 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Wow I love the gold-white spangled and the buff-black columbian. Wish those colors were here in the US!
I could be wrong, but I'm fairly certain the gold spangled ones are the chamois spitzies. @Alaskan breeds those.

I was going through my pics and found one of my pretty Spitzie. She was gorgeous and our daughter trained her to come when called and land on her arm.
She truly was a beauty. She had it all!

@homeschoolin momma
Yes, Spitzie was an awesome bird. Perhaps she was hatched with your Jake. That year one of my "chicken friends" went on vacation & picked up some Spitz eggs for me from a breeder in Missouri. What a great souvenir he gave me! I sold all but my fav = Spitzie. Sadly she was killed before she was a year old.

The next spring, I bought some Spitz eggs off eBay. As I was growing them out, I didn't find any as impressive as Spitzie. I planned to sell all of them and try again. BUT DS had already bonded. Poof Poof has her own special qualities but her crest and comb are not what it should be.

Perhaps I need to take a vacation and get my own souvenirs. LOL ;)
Anyone know a good breeder of chamois spitzhaubens in the Midwest?

I could be wrong, but I'm fairly certain the gold spangled ones are the chamois spitzies. @Alaskan breeds those.
Gold spangled are bright gold with black spots.

I saw some for sale on one of the major chicken hatchery sites...forget which one, maybe Cackle.

I have Chamois, got them from the NE-ish area of the US as shipped eggs... totally blanking as to who it was....

It was years back now.

Chamois photos...
20190928_203800.jpg
20200630_121517.jpg

I have 4 hens and did have 1 roo. Roo is gone. Hens are VERY NOISY. They don’t tolerate heat well. And all four go broody and fight over one nest box. I do not like this breed. They are also on the small side.

Attachments

• 394C15C0-3A9F-455A-928A-77067EBD1FBB.jpeg
    394C15C0-3A9F-455A-928A-77067EBD1FBB.jpeg
    685.9 KB · Views: 8
I have 4 hens and did have 1 roo. Roo is gone. Hens are VERY NOISY. They don’t tolerate heat well. And all four go broody and fight over one nest box. I do not like this breed. They are also on the small side.
That is interesting.

Mine are quiet, and never broody. I love the fact that they are a bit small since that equals less feed consumed.

I have no heat.... they do great in the cold.

I am sad to hear they are not heat tolerant. 😕 This summer we've had temps in the mid to high 90's, with heat indeces around 105°F due to high humidity. My EE and Black Australorp seem to be handling it okay and, although production did drop for a week or two, they are picking back up again as temps drop back into the 80's. Noise doesn't matter here and I find these birds very attractive. What do you think, is it too hot for them here? Didn't someone mention a breeder here in Missouri?

Back
Top Bottom