Chicken Breed Focus - Australorp

Pics

Love my Australorps. Their names are Hansel and Gretel:)

I love our BA's! We have three adult hens and (8) 15-week-old, soon to be pullets (seen below). They are even-tempered, excellent foragers, and tolerant of heat and cold. Ours lay year-round here in Montana, 5-6 eggs per week in the warmer months and 3-4 eggs per week in the winter. Our coop is very minimally heated and not insulated, and it sometimes gets below zero in there. Of our original mixed flock of 13, we had 4 BA's. A mother fox discovered our flock early this spring and killed 8 of the original flock, with a BA being the last killed before I got the fox. The survivors? 3 BA's and one EE! That is why, when it came time to replenish our flock, we got 8 BA's and five other breeds. My only knock on the BA, if you can call it one, is that ours get broody 2-3 times per year and faithfully sit on the nest for 20 - 25 days without laying. I just let it happen, and don't try to break them, as that is in their nature. Highly recommend this breed for laying, friendliness, and good survival instincts!

Ouch, you wear flip flops in the coop? Mine are toe peckers! I am careful to wear my boots when I go in there, although they invariably pull my laces and untie them. I guess they think they are worms or something.

Ouch, you wear flip flops in the coop? Mine are toe peckers! I am careful to wear my boots when I go in there, although they invariably pull my laces and untie them. I guess they think they are worms or something.
Oh absolutely! My BA's used to be horrible toe peckers. LOL Thankfully as they aged, they grew out of this stage. My younger BR's are still into the shoe lace untying still. I have to make sure to wear shoes without laces or I end up stepping on birds since they are so obsessed with the laces in my shoes. Ha!

It's with mixed feelings that I post these pics. I sold my entire flock to a friend yesterday in preparation for our move to Alaska and he came and picked them up this morning. It's seems so strange to be chickenless after having had a flock for so long. But I was able to get my daughter to download a couple of pics I took of my Black Australorps into a file and put them on my zip drive so I could post their pics. After struggling a bit to get them posted, here they are. Sorry they are somewhat blurry, but I'm still in the stone age when it comes to this kind of technology. I will definitely get another flock at some point after we move to Alaska.

Last edited:
It's with mixed feelings that I post these pics. I sold my entire flock to a friend yesterday in preparation for our move to Alaska and he came and picked them up this morning. It's seems so strange to be chickenless after having had a flock for so long. But I was able to get my daughter to download a couple of pics I took of my Black Australorps into a file and put them on my zip drive so I could post their pics. After struggling a bit to get them posted, here they are. Sorry they are somewhat blurry, but I'm still in the stone age when it comes to this kind of technology. I will definitely get another flock at some point after we move to Alaska.

Back
Top Bottom