Chicken Breed Focus - Australorp

Pics
Hey everyone, my BAs are going on 12 weeks old! Believe I have 4 boys and 4 girls so going to have re-home some I’m afraid. Currently, they all get along. But not too much longer and the hormones will be kicking in (or so I read..). Guess I’ll have to re-home some hopefully before it gets ugly. Glad I found this thread!
9A30B11A-16B6-48F7-A811-E1160F960C18.jpeg
0D799565-6DB5-4F83-A00A-674A7D339AB6.jpeg

Attachments

• 6898606E-292B-4F37-9F9F-93DC7CB3D5B6.jpeg
    6898606E-292B-4F37-9F9F-93DC7CB3D5B6.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 4
  • AF0BB32D-639B-456C-9536-05F9C1D49428.jpeg
    AF0BB32D-639B-456C-9536-05F9C1D49428.jpeg
    699.8 KB · Views: 6
I have three beautiful Australorp roosters I'll have to cull. Unfortunately I have no place for them. They are already fighting. I have three chicken houses, each with its own enclosure. One has one rooster and 14 hens. The other two roosters and 5 hens. I keep the three roosters in the third coop. I want to free up this one coop, put in there one of the two roosters that are together with the 5 hens and some of the hens in the overcrowded coop. If I could find a home for the three roosters I would not kill them. They are so beautiful and big that they would make excellent breeding males.

Hatched out 4 Australorp chicks last week. The parents were blue (didn't know blue existed until recently - had black ones in Canada before) so I'm curious to see what the little "blond" guy/gal in the lower right corner looks like down the road... different coloration from the others. The heat-lamp set-up looks rather other-worldly at night!
:)

Enjoying hand-raising this crew & looking forward to how tame they'll be as a result!

Australorp_chicks_sm.JPG

I have three beautiful Australorp roosters I'll have to cull. Unfortunately I have no place for them. They are already fighting. I have three chicken houses, each with its own enclosure. One has one rooster and 14 hens. The other two roosters and 5 hens. I keep the three roosters in the third coop. I want to free up this one coop, put in there one of the two roosters that are together with the 5 hens and some of the hens in the overcrowded coop. If I could find a home for the three roosters I would not kill them. They are so beautiful and big that they would make excellent breeding males.
GOSH I hope you wont have to kill them , I usually pen up my young roos by 2 's together , I have 2 roos in a pen right now going on 3 years old and they get along well ,i put the young roos into a rooster pen by the time they start to crow, and they live together well and don't fight at all & are more like best friends, you could leave the calmest most well behaved roo out of the 3 roos you have & leave him out with your hens to guard the flock & to make hatching eggs, you could try that, its worked well for years here on my farm, I had 8 roos living 2 in a pen together for years they seemed to enjoy their life plus they had very large pens 40x40 with shade trees & little ponds for them to walk in on hot days , so they were very comfortable and lived a great life together better then most.

our splash roo ghost  big bird.jpg
Hatched out 4 Australorp chicks last week. The parents were blue (didn't know blue existed until recently - had black ones in Canada before) so I'm curious to see what the little "blond" guy/gal in the lower right corner looks like down the road... different coloration from the others. The heat-lamp set-up looks rather other-worldly at night!
:)

Enjoying hand-raising this crew & looking forward to how tame they'll be as a result!

View attachment 1933032
wonderful, you may have a splash aussie chick , they can look like this pic of my MY BIG BIRD he was originally named ghost ...lol.. any way your chick could end up looking like this my splash aussie roo big bird .

Chet Hupp, of Hupp Farms in AZ, had a great project going with Blues. He had some great stock. Haven't heard from him in quite some time, so I'm not sure about his current breeding program. Kurt, of RattlesnakeRidge in VA had some fine Blues started too. He had to quit due to health issues.

I had several show quality aussies from Chet Hupp, of Hupp Farms in AZ, I bought a beautiful splash roo big bird & a giant black hen big black girl & beautiful blue hen such a gorgeous girl we called her blue girl & one blue roo , big blue , all were his show quality birds on their way to be shown, I bought them just before the big show, all were the most beautiful show quality Australorps , we drove to pick them up as we live in AZ also & right now from what I know after talking to Chet on the phone about a year or so ago, he was involved in breeding RIR of champion quality & that was his breeding program at the time ,

I had several show quality aussies from Chet Hupp, of Hupp Farms in AZ, I bought a beautiful splash roo big bird & a giant black hen big black girl & beautiful blue hen such a gorgeous girl we called her blue girl & one blue roo , big blue , all were his show quality birds on their way to be shown, I bought them just before the big show, all were the most beautiful show quality Australorps , we drove to pick them up as we live in AZ also & right now from what I know after talking to Chet on the phone about a year or so ago, he was involved in breeding RIR of champion quality & that was his breeding program at the time ,
Thanks for the update.

Back
Top Bottom