Chicken Breed Focus - Chantecler

Hi,
I was surfing old Chantecler literature the other night written by Brother Wilfrid. Came across a snippet from a book not available online where Brother Wilfrid explains how he chose the name. Of course after the rooster in the book/play. However he says the name was Chanteclair ( that's how he spelled it) which meant "clear" "chant" ( Brother Wilfrid's words and parentheses). I wonder how we got "sing brightly" out of that?
Interesting,
Karen

Last edited:
My long-time friend Karen. We agree that only the whites should be considered and called Chanteclers. I do however love the looks of the Albertans and might consider owning them but people are so quick to blind themselves to get registration. I might to except for the pattern. Honestly, I think Brother Wilfrid was smart to use a eWh based , Silver based bird. ( Since the eWh allele had not been named back then, {1890 to 1921}, I think he was looking for a color which would be uniform and have the "stay white" gene. The "Stay white" gene from my research seems to be when the Silver ( not "white gene" based) birds are based on the eWh {Wheaten} , ( not eb {Brown} allele) For one thing, the Silver Wheaten color is uniform because there is no balancing of the undercolor to get correct top color. The advantage to the Silver Wheaten genotype is the breeder/owner can breed for type without having to worry about balancing color in their breeding program. Brother Wilfrid wrapped up the color in a neat package so folks could spend their efforts in breeding to type. White Chanteclers are a breed which can be bred successfully for color by the average person with almost no knowledge of color genetics.

As a dog breeder, I have recognized the usefulness of DNA testing in them and such testing would go a long way in keeping chicken breeds straightened. I see nothing wrong with crossing for the purpose of strengthening breeds but the facts should be kept above board. I agree. It kinda makes me crazy when folk sell birds as pure which they know have foreign blood or color up close yet look like the breed the buyer wants. That was the problem I had with BBR Marans. 5 tries, 5 fails for that very reason. It's tough to do that with a Silver Wheaten bird. A cross to an eb based breed or white-gene based breed or colored breed will show in the plumage.
But what if one crossed an Albertan with a Welsummer or other breed? Even if the comb was different they could just cite Higgins Rat Ranch brilliant article on Chantecler comb genetics and say the aberrant comb was just part of the existing genetics ratio which weren't proper cushion combs. I think using Silver Wheaten for Chanteclers was a ( probably unintended) way to keep folk from crossbreeding Chanteclers.

I use my White Chantecler...soon to be entered in exhibition shows and some for cross-breeding to make exquisite capons. Yes, no problem with that. People used Light Sussex all the time to make layers and capons crosses but they still bred the breed true.

Here are a few of my youngsters at age 4 months...also a pic of one of the DC cockerels ( What's a DC?
idunno.gif
oh, Dark Cornish, duh) to be used in the Capon program. I have been caponizing chickens for many years but only had access to Chantecler for the past three.

The first is 'Shorty' at age 4 mos. Weighs 5 pounds 7 ounces.

My youngest Chanteclers at age 4 months. Sorry for the poor photography.

I think they look real good.
Best,
Karen

Last edited:
Hi,
I need to start planning my breeding pens for Chanteclers. I now they don't need as much shelter as my former Light Sussex. How much shelter do your Chanteclers need for breeding? Do you use a formal coop or breeding pens or? Thanks so much,
Karen

My french isn't what it ought to be but... I believe the french verb "il chante" translates as "he sings" and the adjective "clair" can be translated as "bright, clear". Hope this is helpful.

Hi: I had two, older birds from a breeder who was thinning them out. When I received them, they had no feathers on their necks. Okie and Dokey. Okie's gone, victim of a varmint, but Dokey's thriving. She's frightened of me, won't come close, and doesn't lay right now. When she did lay, the eggs were pointed on one end, and a soft tawny colour, not white and not brown. I've just noticed that she barks like a dog. She has three friends, red hens, Marilyn, Sophia, and Jayne.
Jack

First hatch of the season.

Large Fowl buff Chantecler and partridge Chantecler.
Hi John,
Do the partridge chicks down always come out with this gobbledygook head/neck marbling or are they to have a distinct pattern to the down on the head and neck? Also, have the Partridge breeders decided yet if they are going to use e+ or eb for the allele?
Curious,
Thanks,
Karen

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom