Starting a Heritage Breeding Program

Vadard

Songster
Sep 6, 2019
Gulf Coast
I'm going to start a small-scale breeding program for a heritage dual-purpose breed, and I'm curious about what breeds y'all think would be best for a hot climate (Gulf Coast of the US). The birds will be confined in a run, but I'll likely free range them some, too.

The characteristics I care most about are hardiness and temperament (precocious is fine, but no drama queens). Eggs will be primary goal with meat secondary.

I've been reading up on a bunch of heritage breeds and am most interested in these:
  • Delaware
  • Buckeye
  • Dominique
I'd appreciate any experience or advice y'all could share. I read somewhere that Delawares don't like hot climates, but I'm skeptical of that as I've seen a good many in the Deep South. Buckeyes seem like fun. And I like Dominiques because they are pretty and supposedly good mothers.

Or is there another breed I should consider?

My goal is to develop some high-quality stock over time and maybe sell some to other local homesteaders.

Thanks!

I *personally* have avoided adding Buckeyes to my flock because they were specifically bread for cold-tolerance rather than heat-tolerance.

Features that favor heat-tolerance include:

Clean legs
Large single comb
Harder/tighter feathering (instead of soft, fluffy feathering)
Lighter build

But then you get into oddities like the weird heat-tolerance of many Brahmas -- who are everything that a heat-tolerant chicken shouldn't be and yet often do well.

Go figure. 🤷‍♀️

One thing I've done is to try to order my birds from southern hatcheries, on the theory that their breeding stock is automatically selected for heat tolerance regardless of breed. Ideal is my favorite.

You could try ordering several birds of each breed you are thinking of, raising them for a year, and seeing which you like best/which are doing best in your specific situation.

I *personally* have avoided adding Buckeyes to my flock because they were specifically bread for cold-tolerance rather than heat-tolerance.

Features that favor heat-tolerance include:

Clean legs
Large single comb
Harder/tighter feathering (instead of soft, fluffy feathering)
Lighter build

But then you get into oddities like the weird heat-tolerance of many Brahmas -- who are everything that a heat-tolerant chicken shouldn't be and yet often do well.

Go figure. 🤷‍♀️

One thing I've done is to try to order my birds from southern hatcheries, on the theory that their breeding stock is automatically selected for heat tolerance regardless of breed. Ideal is my favorite.

You could try ordering several birds of each breed you are thinking of, raising them for a year, and seeing which you like best/which are doing best in your specific situation.
Thank you. That is a good tip about southern hatcheries, and I was just looking at Ideal last night. Haven't ordered from them, but they look promising. I was mainly looking for a closer hatchery just for chick survival purposes, but the adaptation part makes sense.

Yeah I can't figure out brahmas. I agree that everything about them screams cold weather. Yet there is one living in a run down the road from me that is HUGE and evidently doing well.

My only advice is (and I know these won't be in your program) DON'T DO silkie with EE, NO heat tolerance. Pay attention to combs and wattles size, bigger is better for heat tolerance. I suggest barred rocks and black copper Marans, they are dual purpose and heat tolerant and lay a good amount of eggs.

Yeah I can't figure out brahmas. I agree that everything about them screams cold weather. Yet there is one living in a run down the road from me that is HUGE and evidently doing well.

The only think I can figure is that their thick feathers insulate them from the heat -- up to a point.

My SLW is my least heat-tolerant bird, my Australorps are very good, but my California White is the best.

My goal in the beginning was a heat tolerant heritage breed and I landed on the Dominique.

I haven't had mine real long but I have brought in an older girl and see the grown personality as well to so I'm a little biased 😂 but I absolutely adore my Dominiques! Currently have 10.

They take our horrible Nevada heat pretty well (hottest day this year I believe was 110), not super flighty, everybody is super friendly, not super broody.

They are easily bullied though, I originally hatched barred rocks with them, needless to say I don't have the barred rocks anymore. 😂

My goal in the beginning was a heat tolerant heritage breed and I landed on the Dominique.

I haven't had mine real long but I have brought in an older girl and see the grown personality as well to so I'm a little biased 😂 but I absolutely adore my Dominiques! Currently have 10.

They take our horrible Nevada heat pretty well (hottest day this year I believe was 110), not super flighty, everybody is super friendly, not super broody.

They are easily bullied though, I originally hatched barred rocks with them, needless to say I don't have the barred rocks anymore. 😂

My Dominique seems to be middling about the heat here. She's got a lovely personality, but I wanted larger eggs and fell in love with my Australorps.

My Dominique seems to be middling about the heat here. She's got a lovely personality, but I wanted larger eggs and fell in love with my Australorps.
Only one of mine is currently laying, the others should follow soon. I've noticed nest box exploring recently. But hers seem larger and longer than I expected so she might be an exception.

I probably should've mentioned mine also wade in a kiddie pool and have misters.

Back
Top Bottom