What breed/kind of chickens to get??

a name used to make Easter Eggers sound more fancy, when in reality they are just mixes that lay blue or green eggs (and olive, but those are also called Olive Eggers) but those birds come in all shapes and colors. Pure ameraucana are harder to find, so you'd have to go with reputable breeders

See? I just learned something.
Thanks for that.

Those are amazing breeds honestly, and truly good mothers (I won't jinx it I promise) they are also on the smaller side, if that's something you prefer

If you want a peaceful flock, try to avoid Rhode Island Red and Wyandotte. Both have reputation of some of them are very mean. I had neither, but I had a Rhodebar, who is basically a Rhode Island Red with barring. She was crazily mean! She would attack other chickens for fun and really drew blood! I know every chicken is different, but Rhode Island Red and Wyandotte will have a bigger chance to be a trouble maker.

Ameraucanas (not EEs) are my favorite -- sweet lap chickens, good layers, hardy in winter, pretty, but good pure Ameraucanas are hard to find. Most EEs are friendly and have good heat/cold tolerance, so they could be a good choice for you. Buff Orps may have problem with heat. Australorp and Brahma are both friendly and do well in hot weather. Not should about how good Sussex will do in heat.

Thank you all for your reply’s and suggestions!!

So I am thinking 8 chickens and I would like many different types. Is this a problem?

So, is it best to get two or more of the same breed? Or can you have individual breeds make up a flock?

I am thinking of these….
Americaunas for sure
Buff Orps for sure
Rhode Island Reds maybe
Welsummers maybe
Autralorp maybe
Wyandottes don’t do well in heat
Speckled Sussex maybe
Brahma maybe
Sumtra maybe
Barred Ply Rock maybe
Fayoumi maybe
Leg Horn maybe

Yes….I have to hold at 8. hahaha.
If you get bantams you can have more, if you like... ;)

A friend of mine had Easter Eggers, standards. I looked into the bantam version and discovered they aren't a breed. I wanted the option to breed more of whatever type of chicken I got. I liked Barred Rocks, Dominiques, and Sussex because they're calmer, friendlier chickens. And they're also established, heritage breeds that will reproduce true to kind.

I'm not looking for heavy layers, but pets with personality and eggs as a plus.

That might not work for you, but it's what I want. :pop :love:cool:

So I am thinking 8 chickens and I would like many different types. Is this a problem?

So, is it best to get two or more of the same breed? Or can you have individual breeds make up a flock?

I am thinking of these….
Americaunas for sure
Buff Orps for sure
Rhode Island Reds maybe
Welsummers maybe
Autralorp maybe
Speckled Sussex maybe
Brahma maybe
Sumtra maybe
Barred Ply Rock maybe
Fayoumi maybe
Leg Horn maybe

As someone who started out with Australorps and Welsummers, I highly recommend both! The Welsummer eggs are so unique in the basket (I have four remaining and each egg looks different) but the Australorps have such sweet personalities. They are my babies lol

I would look into where you plan to source your chicks and their specific availability before getting too set on any one thing, and be flexible. Depending how you order, some places will have a whatever chick minimum per breed, but they all have different policies. Or if you walk into a supplier, you sometimes have to just take what you can get, or shop around the different locations. If you were to order individual hatching eggs or chicks from... I'm not even sure where people are doing that... be prepared that if you lose 1/1 you are out that breed, but if you lose 1/2 you still have it represented. I had to be a bit flexible this year based on various factors, but I think we will be very pleased with what we have, even if it's not EXACTLY the birds I had envisioned. lol GL!

If you want a peaceful flock, try to avoid Rhode Island Red and Wyandotte. Both have reputation of some of them are very mean. I had neither, but I had a Rhodebar, who is basically a Rhode Island Red with barring. She was crazily mean! She would attack other chickens for fun and really drew blood! I know every chicken is different, but Rhode Island Red and Wyandotte will have a bigger chance to be a trouble maker.

Ameraucanas (not EEs) are my favorite -- sweet lap chickens, good layers, hardy in winter, pretty, but good pure Ameraucanas are hard to find. Most EEs are friendly and have good heat/cold tolerance, so they could be a good choice for you. Buff Orps may have problem with heat. Australorp and Brahma are both friendly and do well in hot weather. Not should about how good Sussex will do in heat.
I agree about avoiding RIR, but we are trying out a couple Wyandottes this year, because they were available, they are a beautiful heritage bird, and I know a lot of people love them! Hopefully our flock does not regret it, but if so, it's just two so they should be easy enough to rehome. fx we get lucky with some nice ones!

Welcome to BYC and the world of chickens!

To give one answer to this question, Go Ahead, Pick the Prettiest Chickens!

But a little more specifically, you will probably want to consider heat tolerance in your breed choices. As a *general rule*, lighter-built birds with clean legs and medium to large single combs are more heat-tolerant than heavily-build, feather-footed birds with small pea or rose combs. But then you get Brahmas, who are weirdly heat-tolerant despite not meeting any of the usual criteria.

Still, any Mediterranean breed should do well with heat and humidity and most of the common barnyard, dual purpose breeds are widely adapted to many climates.

Speaking of heat:

Hot Climate Chicken Housing and Care,
Repecka Illustrates Coop Ventilation

And if you want me to name a specific breed:

Awesome Australorps -- Because "Medium" Doesn't Mean "Boring"

I am thinking of these….
Americaunas for sure
Buff Orps for sure
Rhode Island Reds maybe
Welsummers maybe
Autralorp maybe
Speckled Sussex maybe
Brahma maybe
Sumtra maybe
Barred Ply Rock maybe
Fayoumi maybe
Leg Horn maybe

I said my max was 8 I now have 14. Curse you chicken math :barnie

I would look into where you plan to source your chicks and their specific availability before getting too set on any one thing, and be flexible. Depending how you order, some places will have a whatever chick minimum per breed, but they all have different policies. Or if you walk into a supplier, you sometimes have to just take what you can get, or shop around the different locations. If you were to order individual hatching eggs or chicks from... I'm not even sure where people are doing that... be prepared that if you lose 1/1 you are out that breed, but if you lose 1/2 you still have it represented. I had to be a bit flexible this year based on various factors, but I think we will be very pleased with what we have, even if it's not EXACTLY the birds I had envisioned. lol GL!
Good information.

I wanted clean-legged bantams, but couldn't find any local bantam breeders except for Silkies (not my cuppa tea). Most online hatcheries only offered bantams as mixed batches (different breeds) and those who had Barred Rocks or Easter Eggers were sold out through August.

Then I discovered a hatchery about 40 miles away that sold Speckled Sussex bantam chicks! I did some research, liked the breed, and arranged to buy from their next hatching. So I knew basically what I was looking for but was flexible enough to go with what was available.

Back
Top Bottom