What breed/kind of chickens to get??

Ragfrey

Songster
Apr 19, 2023
South Louisiana
I posted/asked this in the Louisiana thread but wanted to see if I could get a full forum response. And I plan to read this forum extensively.

Info:
-6-8 hens
-Prob 10x16 coop with added 10x24 run?
-let them out after 4pm and weekends on 3/4acre
-Louisiana hot humid summers with mild-mod winters
-I have zero coop, run, supplies, etc…completely in planning phase.

What breed/kind of chickens do I want to get?
Really a mixture…
I am sure with 6-8 hens there will be some eggs which would be nice but I am equally interested in the colorful fun and quirkiness of watching them in the yard.

I am really new to chickens but understand the discipline, research, dedication and education needed to start this- With zero knowledge, I raised and trained two Dobermans with the help of a great online forum. So I am in for the challenge and looking forward to it.

I would like some docile, pretty color, friendly quirky chickens. Don’t have to be fancy-extravagant looking. So appearance and personality is important with the egg laying being an added bonus- prob opposite of what most folks want out of chickens.

Have been researching and there is soooo many types and info that it’s hard to figure out.

Ameraucana
Rhode Island Red
Buff Orps
Leghorn
Wyandotte
Autralorp
Sussex
Brahma
Hamburg
Sumtra
Easter Egger
Barred Ply Rocks
Welsummer
Fayoumi

I mean…hahaha
How do you know which one. Hell, with Dobermans you have a Euro, North American and South American and all three have general characteristics and expectations that one can pretty much figure out if that one is for them.

I posted/asked this in the Louisiana thread but wanted to see if I could get a full forum response. And I plan to read this forum extensively.

Info:
-6-8 hens
-Prob 10x16 coop with added 10x24 run?
-let them out after 4pm and weekends on 3/4acre
-Louisiana hot humid summers with mild-mod winters
-I have zero coop, run, supplies, etc…completely in planning phase.

What breed/kind of chickens do I want to get?
Really a mixture…
I am sure with 6-8 hens there will be some eggs which would be nice but I am equally interested in the colorful fun and quirkiness of watching them in the yard.

I am really new to chickens but understand the discipline, research, dedication and education needed to start this- With zero knowledge, I raised and trained two Dobermans with the help of a great online forum. So I am in for the challenge and looking forward to it.

I would like some docile, pretty color, friendly quirky chickens. Don’t have to be fancy-extravagant looking. So appearance and personality is important with the egg laying being an added bonus- prob opposite of what most folks want out of chickens.

Have been researching and there is soooo many types and info that it’s hard to figure out.

Ameraucana
Rhode Island Red
Buff Orps
Leghorn
Wyandotte
Autralorp
Sussex
Brahma
Hamburg
Sumtra
Easter Egger
Barred Ply Rocks
Welsummer
Fayoumi

I mean…hahaha
How do you know which one. Hell, with Dobermans you have a Euro, North American and South American and all three have general characteristics and expectations that one can pretty much figure out if that one is for them.
My suggestions for friendly & personable birds that are ok with a bit of freedom:
Ameraucana
Buff Orps
Wyandotte
Autralorp
Sussex
Easter Egger
Barred Ply Rocks
Welsummer

Wyandottes can be a little standoffish but none of mine have been mean, we had one super sweet girl, and Plymouth Rocks, Welsummers & Sussex are super curious and friendly. Easter Eggers & Ameraucanas will add a bit of color to your eggs, and I’d throw in an Olive Egger if you can, too!

Good luck!

How about bantams? I like their personalities and don't mind that the eggs are smaller.

I had Rosecomb bantams 30 years ago, have gotten back into chickens with Speckled Sussex and Dominique bantams. They are heritage type breeds, both calm and friendly. They're tolerant of hotter temps (clean legs and single combs).

Thank you all for your reply’s and suggestions!!

So I am thinking 8 chickens and I would like many different types. Is this a problem?

So, is it best to get two or more of the same breed? Or can you have individual breeds make up a flock?

I am thinking of these….
Americaunas for sure
Buff Orps for sure
Rhode Island Reds maybe
Welsummers maybe
Autralorp maybe
Wyandottes don’t do well in heat
Speckled Sussex maybe
Brahma maybe
Sumtra maybe
Barred Ply Rock maybe
Fayoumi maybe
Leg Horn maybe

Yes….I have to hold at 8. hahaha.

Thank you all for your reply’s and suggestions!!

So I am thinking 8 chickens and I would like many different types. Is this a problem?

So, is it best to get two or more of the same breed? Or can you have individual breeds make up a flock?

I am thinking of these….
Americaunas for sure
Buff Orps for sure
Rhode Island Reds maybe
Welsummers maybe
Autralorp maybe
Wyandottes don’t do well in heat
Speckled Sussex maybe
Brahma maybe
Sumtra maybe
Barred Ply Rock maybe
Fayoumi maybe
Leg Horn maybe

Yes….I have to hold at 8. hahaha.

Yes, you can absolutely do one of each breed. Do you want EEs or do you want pure ameraucana?

I don’t really know…didn’t know about EE’s- off to do more research.

Thanks so much!

No problem! I only asked because I saw you wanted americaunas, which is usually a name used to make Easter Eggers sound more fancy, when in reality they are just mixes that lay blue or green eggs (and olive, but those are also called Olive Eggers) but those birds come in all shapes and colors. Pure ameraucana are harder to find, so you'd have to go with reputable breeders

Back
Top Bottom