Chicken Breed Focus - d'Uccle bantams

The are so sweet and you may find it hard to tell them no. If you are not careful you will find yourself sitting on the sofa watching telly surrounded by tiny chickens or you wake up to the rooster's crow and chatty little hens roosting on your bedside cabinet.
This made me laugh!!

Aw, mine is 2 years old and has never been broody but she is a sweetheart
Looks like a small rose comb. So she may be a d'Anvers. The tiny Barbus from Belgium come in  many shapes and colours:  http://www.britishbelgianbantamclub.com/gallery.html
They are all wounderful pet-chickens and at least my Barbus are laying well during the warm season, if they are not bussy raising chicks. They go brody frequently and some hens will raise batch after batch and exhaust themself doing so. So have an eye on that and stop them early. 
The are so sweet and you may find it hard to tell them no. If you are not careful you will find yourself sitting on the sofa watching telly surrounded by tiny chickens or you wake up to the rooster's crow and chatty little hens roosting on your bedside cabinet. 

I won these at an auction but not sure what breed they are. When I saw the pictures here I'm thinking now they are d'Uccles. Can anyone confirm if they are or aren't?
Thanks

My little girl looks the same but doesn't have any feathers on her little toes, can someone please explain this?? I'd really like to know what her breed is as she was a gift to me & my flock.

I'm guessing she is a d'Uccle cross of some sort.

My husband's family have d'Ucclets in Belgium. We have a few. All pullets. Porcelain, Blue, and Black mottled. Not breeding because I have not found the right roo. Thinking of importing some hatching eggs next year. New blood, and could be quite the investment.

My husband was born near Uccle, and it is a great sentimental reminder of where he came from.
Interesting! How does he pronounce ''Uccle''?

YAY D'UCCLES!!!!
They are one of my favorite breeds! I love them!
We discovered d'Uccles on our first year of keeping chickens. We bought chickens from a farmer. My sister wanted a silkie named 'Vicious,' named after an old dog someone we knew in our family used to know. She decided silkies after reading chicken magazines, but the farmer didn't have any of them. My sister was bummed but found another chicken that she thought would be good to name 'vicious' sarcastically. She was a tiny brown hen with black and white spangles. The hen was shy at first, but my sister held her and soon the chicken was being petted and perching on our shoulders. We decided that we couldn't call her vicious, so we started to call her Dolly because of her sweet temperament. We sadly lost Dolly that year from the cold. It was very tragic.
A few weeks after getting Dolly and the other hens, we got three awesome silkies--the white one being named Vicious.

Back
Top Bottom