Chicken Breed Focus - Jersey Giant

Pics
I bought eight chicks from Taylor Hobby Farms, which is a private breeder. Three Blacks, three Splash and two blues. All three blacks have a purple sheen instead of green. I have six Black Giants from another source and they all have the green sheen. I was wondering if it was a good idea to just cull or should I breed with Blue or the splash.

I'm not sure. Sorry.
idunno.gif

My Jersey Giant snuggles with me and likes to roost on top of my head.

That's a LOT of bird to wear on your head. Post photos. My JG didn't like being held for the longest time. But as she's aged, she's grown to know I mean no harm and that I usually have treats. I do love snuggling w/ her. She's SOOOOOOO soft. Softer than any of my other breeds.

My girls turned 9 weeks yesterday:

I have not invited either of them to sit on my head! And they don't come running to be picked up either, more likely to run the other way if I tried. Broody raised, no handling by people was involved after they were stuffed under my BA at 4 days old.

My girls turned 9 weeks yesterday:

I have not invited either of them to sit on my head! And they don't come running to be picked up either, more likely to run the other way if I tried. Broody raised, no handling by people was involved after they were stuffed under my BA at 4 days old.

My broody-raised chickens don't tend to let me get near them, though as they age they do tend to learn to come for treats. They are more intelligent, however, in some ways.

Those are pretty hens. Mine has a white feather on her wing also.
smile.png

My broody-raised chickens don't tend to let me get near them, though as they age they do tend to learn to come for treats. They are more intelligent, however, in some ways.

Those are pretty hens. Mine has a white feather on her wing also.
smile.png

Oh, they have the "people mean treats" thing down pat! I now have a thundering herd of 16 chickens instead of 9 (well, 15 because one broody Faverolles just will NOT stay out of the nests so she's in the broody buster for the 4th time this year. I used to unlatch the barn door in the morning and push it the 180 degrees, the 3 Y/O hens would come out behind me as I moves sideways. Now I walk in front of it and pull because there are LOTS of little bodies underfoot otherwise. The dam bursts and the chickens spill out.

We're week 12 with the flock of JG's. Reached a size where I can contain them with electric fence so their universe has expanded considerably. Right now --

Favorite fruit: Watermelon
Favorite morsel: mealworms
Favorite activity: Hop flying

As it is the biggest Roo (Big Duke) just walks the yard. The few that have challenged him just get the evil eye and "you really want a piece of this?" look and they walk off. The others just some head knocking. Two hens seemed to have adopted me. Whenever I am in the yard they are right there pecking on the shoes. Its like I just landed in a honkeytonk and they want me to buy'em drinks.

My Black Jersey Giant hen has 14 chicks with her sired by a supersize Buff Orpington Rooster. It looks like the chicks are sex-link-color at hatching. Roosters have yellow and dark, hens all brown. "Mommy" is a fantastic mother, all 14 pastured chicks with her are adolescents now.

Back
Top Bottom