Chicken Breed Focus - Legbar

I only have two Cream Legbar hens at the moment, but I am very excited for them to lay some bright & beautiful Blue/Green eggs! Does anyone here that is more experienced with this breed know at what age they start to lay?

I only have two Cream Legbar hens at the moment, but I am very excited for them to lay some bright & beautiful Blue/Green eggs! Does anyone here that is more experienced with this breed know at what age they start to lay?
I have four CCL that hatched last May. The first of then started laying in October, there is one of them that is still a freeloader. 🤷🏻‍♀️ Here’s a picture of Ethel, the first of the bunch to lay, and her egg yesterday (and she lays consistently, every other day).

Attachments

• 4366477E-F731-4CD9-89D9-B64D059B0BEE.jpeg
    4366477E-F731-4CD9-89D9-B64D059B0BEE.jpeg
    691 KB · Views: 23
  • 69A33775-E10F-4E60-87B6-0949CCBB7D55.jpeg
    69A33775-E10F-4E60-87B6-0949CCBB7D55.jpeg
    203.4 KB · Views: 27
My city just adopted a new ordinance allowing chickens. We can have up to six hens. I've located a small local breeder who will provide me some 8 week old pullets at $10 each. He has Crested Cream Legbars, Wheaten Marans, Bielefelders, and a CCL x marans cross for green eggs. I think I'll get one of each. The other two hens I'm thinking about are a Lavender or Partridge Orpington and either a Blue Laced Red Wyandotte or Golden Laced Wyandotte. I'm so excited about getting the Legbar that I almost joined the CCL club.
Yay for you! I’ll bet those will be some nice colors.

We have two CCL pullets- Elsa (right) and Anna (left) - my 4 year old named them 😂 because they will lay blue eggs, and blue is of course Queen Elsa’s favorite color! So far no eggs, because they’re only 16 weeks. But we can’t wait for our Queen Elsa eggs ❄️

I think Anna is technically defective/not breed standard, because she doesn’t have a crest. Elsa does. Makes them easier to tell apart! They’re flighty and very snack aggressive, they peck hard. But also very curious and funny to watch. Definitely glad we have them in our flock!

Edit to add, Anna has red eyes in this pic because of the flash - her eyes are a normal color IRL

Attachments

• C6B99DDB-8A44-4F8E-AFB9-25FB72E07CE1.jpeg
    C6B99DDB-8A44-4F8E-AFB9-25FB72E07CE1.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 21
I hatched out 7 CL chicks in October, they just turned 17 weeks. They so far are very nice birds. There were 3 cockerels which I named Whiskey, Tango, and Foxtrot :D. 4 pullets of which I’ve only named the one so far since I can’t really tell the others apart, her name is Bunny. She has a couple white feathers in her crest that show up to look like bunny ears.
The cockerels get along for now, I know I may need to separate/downsize in the near future. I have 14 hens from last year so as of right now this feels like a good size flock.
I can definitely see me getting more of these birds.

Looking forward to reading comments from members that have these.

Thanks Sumi!
The Legbar breed was the second autosexing chicken breed created in the early twentieth century by Reginald Crundall Punnett and Michael Pease at the Genetical Institute of Cambridge University (the other being the Cambar, which was created in 1929). The Legbar was created by crossing Barred Plymouth Rocks, Leghorns, Cambars, and in the case of the Cream Legbar, Araucanas. The Araucana blood in the Cream Legbar is reflected in its crest and blue to blue-green eggs.

The aim of the breeding project was to create an autosexing utility breed with the focus on egg laying, where male and female day old chicks could easily be sexed by their down colour. To achieve this Punnet and Pease used a crossing programme with excellent egg layers, the Leghorn and the Barred Plymouth Rock. The Barred Plymouth Rock was used to introduce the sex-linked barring gene ('barring' (B)) into the Leghorn. By crossing Brown Leghorn and Barred Plymouth Rock the Gold Legbar was created and standardised in 1945. The Silver Legbar followed in 1951. It had been created by crossing the Gold Legbar, White Leghorn and Silver Cambar. The Cream Legbar were standardised in 1958 but nearly died out in the 1970's as blue eggs were not in demand any more. They were created by crossing Gold Legbar with White Leghorn and creme-coloured Araucanas. The Araucanas introduced the dilute creme gene ('inhibitor of gold' (ig)), as well as the crest and the blue eggs into this variety.

Details:

Detail Value
Breed Purpose Egg Layer
Comb Single
Broodiness Seldom
Climate Tolerance All Climates
Egg Productivity Medium
Egg Size Medium
Egg Color Blue/Green
Breed Temperament Flighty,Noisy
Breed Colors/Varieties There are three varieties of Legbar. Gold, Silver, Cream. The Gold and Silver are types of Leghorn and lay cream/white eggs. They are quite different to the CREAM LEGBAR which is an autosexing blue-egg layer.
Breed Size Large Fowl

Pic by @Papa Brooder

Pic by @Papa Brooder

Pic by @sunnydalefarms

Pic by @GaryDean26

BYC Breed Reviews:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/legbar

BYC Breed Discussions:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/509483/cream-legbars/0_30
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/459044/the-legbar-thread/0_30
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/713115/cream-legbar-working-group-standard-of-perfection/0_30

Do you own Legbars? Are you a Legbar breeder? If so, please reply to this thread with the your thoughts and experiences, including:

· What made you decide to get this breed?
· Do you own them for fun? Breeding? Some other purpose?
· What are your favorite characteristics about this breed?
· Post some pics of your birds; male/female, chicks, eggs, etc!

We have a bunch of other awesome breed-focus threads for you to enjoy. You can see all of them here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/chicken-breed-focus-project.975504/
I’m a novice chicken owner, have had them about a year now. Against my better judgement I adopted a special needs “female chick” cream legbar with crooked legs off of Craigslist.🤦‍♀️ I put “her” in chicken traction for about 2 weeks, taped a nickel to her foot to uncurl her toes and force the foot flat. “She” was hobbled and I was able to straighten the legs at least they went in the same direction. The kids named her Lucky because she’s lucky to have a family. (Aww). Well Lucky is now a crippled rooster. He gets where he needs to go, it’s not pretty but he makes it work. His increased size and weight undid some of my work. He’s friendly I think far as roosters go. He’s been picked on recently. He’s now sprayed purple seems to help.

Attachments

• 9127061F-7478-4AA5-AB38-8624DC34C46D.jpeg
    9127061F-7478-4AA5-AB38-8624DC34C46D.jpeg
    279.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 44C9CE78-CB7A-488B-B8D6-B1DE3CA5D916.jpeg
    44C9CE78-CB7A-488B-B8D6-B1DE3CA5D916.jpeg
    392 KB · Views: 10
  • 70F1962B-F2C0-49D0-84CC-1CAAE53D3C84.jpeg
    70F1962B-F2C0-49D0-84CC-1CAAE53D3C84.jpeg
    527.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 583AC485-BA82-4DFD-979D-3CA2B7A9D5C0.jpeg
    583AC485-BA82-4DFD-979D-3CA2B7A9D5C0.jpeg
    513.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 55164DF7-995D-4530-A0CA-A743665AF52C.jpeg
    55164DF7-995D-4530-A0CA-A743665AF52C.jpeg
    370.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 0C299EBC-663A-4EF1-8A0C-54D37C0E7EA4.jpeg
    0C299EBC-663A-4EF1-8A0C-54D37C0E7EA4.jpeg
    649.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 3826C8DE-9E05-416C-ADB1-A6D28E6A4BB2.jpeg
    3826C8DE-9E05-416C-ADB1-A6D28E6A4BB2.jpeg
    634.2 KB · Views: 18
The Legbar breed was the second autosexing chicken breed created in the early twentieth century by Reginald Crundall Punnett and Michael Pease at the Genetical Institute of Cambridge University (the other being the Cambar, which was created in 1929). The Legbar was created by crossing Barred Plymouth Rocks, Leghorns, Cambars, and in the case of the Cream Legbar, Araucanas. The Araucana blood in the Cream Legbar is reflected in its crest and blue to blue-green eggs.

The aim of the breeding project was to create an autosexing utility breed with the focus on egg laying, where male and female day old chicks could easily be sexed by their down colour. To achieve this Punnet and Pease used a crossing programme with excellent egg layers, the Leghorn and the Barred Plymouth Rock. The Barred Plymouth Rock was used to introduce the sex-linked barring gene ('barring' (B)) into the Leghorn. By crossing Brown Leghorn and Barred Plymouth Rock the Gold Legbar was created and standardised in 1945. The Silver Legbar followed in 1951. It had been created by crossing the Gold Legbar, White Leghorn and Silver Cambar. The Cream Legbar were standardised in 1958 but nearly died out in the 1970's as blue eggs were not in demand any more. They were created by crossing Gold Legbar with White Leghorn and creme-coloured Araucanas. The Araucanas introduced the dilute creme gene ('inhibitor of gold' (ig)), as well as the crest and the blue eggs into this variety.

Details:

Detail Value
Breed Purpose Egg Layer
Comb Single
Broodiness Seldom
Climate Tolerance All Climates
Egg Productivity Medium
Egg Size Medium
Egg Color Blue/Green
Breed Temperament Flighty,Noisy
Breed Colors/Varieties There are three varieties of Legbar. Gold, Silver, Cream. The Gold and Silver are types of Leghorn and lay cream/white eggs. They are quite different to the CREAM LEGBAR which is an autosexing blue-egg layer.
Breed Size Large Fowl

Pic by @Papa Brooder

Pic by @Papa Brooder

Pic by @sunnydalefarms

Pic by @GaryDean26

BYC Breed Reviews:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/legbar

BYC Breed Discussions:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/509483/cream-legbars/0_30
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/459044/the-legbar-thread/0_30
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/713115/cream-legbar-working-group-standard-of-perfection/0_30

Do you own Legbars? Are you a Legbar breeder? If so, please reply to this thread with the your thoughts and experiences, including:

· What made you decide to get this breed?
· Do you own them for fun? Breeding? Some other purpose?
· What are your favorite characteristics about this breed?
· Post some pics of your birds; male/female, chicks, eggs, etc!

We have a bunch of other awesome breed-focus threads for you to enjoy. You can see all of them here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/chicken-breed-focus-project.975504/
I very much enjoy this article. I have three Cream Legbar hens which are great layers who rarely seem to take a day off. They are the most flighty members of my flock but the older they get the less they seem so. They are very easy to handle and manage and have done well in the extreme heat and humidity in MS and also in the frigid temperatures we have also had this winter on a regular basis. I have been very happy with them and the advice from Meyer Hatchery about getting these for our location and desires for our flock and being first time keepers.

Back
Top Bottom