Chicken Breed Focus - Leghorn

In another thread I responded on a misunderstanding of the Leghorn breed. I think my answer is also interesting in this topic
The real leghorns are not the same as the hybrids for the industry that have many leghorn genes. At least in Europe. This assumption is therefore probably incorrect. The aknowledged leghorn is a beautiful chicken that is good in free ranging. They do provide many eggs and do not go broody in general.

In Europe there are several type of leghorn breeds aknowledged. The (original?) Italian *(Livorno), the English and the Dutch. The English and Dutch originate from the US type. And the US type probably came from Spain.

Over here the look-la-like hybrid is often sold as Leghorn but is definitely something completely different in grace and behaviour.

*ps: Recently even the Italians have choosen the Dutch type as standard because it was more beautiful.

Last edited:
Leghorn is one of the first breeds I owned, and still have them now and love them!! Only really owned brown leghorns but I love the blue and cuckoo leghorns as well

Back
Top Bottom