Chicken Breed Focus - New Hampshire

Hi, I just joined yesterday although I have been on here for a couple of years. I have 3 New Hamps & 7 more in the making, I hope. I love this breed. I got mine a couple of years ago from Bill Braden in Okla. They are the sweetest, most calm breed & very intelligent. They free roam & are just a delight. I would hate the thought of going out or looking out & not seeing my chickens. Everyone who sees them says they don't act like chickens. They meet & greet everyone who comes. I think they are such a beautiful breed & I wonder why there are not more of them. I have been around chickens most of my life. My Grandpa always had chickens & ducks, they roosted with the chickens, & would go to the pond everyday when he let the chickens out....then come back in the evening. I don't think my Grandpa ever bought a store egg.

I really enjoy seeing the pics you put up of this breed & would like to learn more about them. My life has always revolved around animals. 34 years in horses, barrel racing & a few years showing dogs. Could not imagine not having some kind of critters.
They meet & greet everyone who comes. - Mine does the same. She is very vocal and always comes to see me when I get home in the afternoon. She is definetely my favorite.

It is amazing how people oriented they are. They come in the chicken house every day when I am cleaning it & discuss the matter with me. The more I talk, the more they talk. Then Harry rooster usually comes in to check out the conversation. If one of them is setting they just watch me clean, doesn't disturb them at all. Then at 2:00 every afternoon they are at the back door for their mealworms & they are not going to leave until they get them. Every time I go out the back door, here they come. They are just such a wonderful pleasure.

Welcome folks to BYC! They are great birds all around.
smile.png

I have had New Hampshire's since I got chicks. They are awesome breeds to have - as we live in New Hampshire that was one of the reasons to get some. They are friendly, good egg layers, cold hardy and in 4 years having hens, the only breed of chickens that I had a hen go broody. She was a great mother! Part of the fun of having chickens was being able to acquire the "local" New England breeds - New Hampshire, Rhode Island Reds, Plymouth Barred Rocks.

I agree with you completely. I love all of the American Heritage breeds. I was torn between the New Hamps & the Barred Rocks. The breeder I got mine from bred both of those as well as the Delawares. They were all so beautiful. It is a shame that some are not that popular anymore. But to me you can't beat them. I love the quiet nature & beauty of my New Hamps. I love to go out & be with them & even to look at them out the windows. That was why I hatched the 7, 4 week olds I have now. I couldn't find them. Unfortunately neither of my hens are broody. I just had the 3. To me I think the USA was tops in producing the heritage breeds it did. And I would also love to see someday your part of the country. There again it is our heritage.....I love history, maybe that is why I love those breeds so much. That is such a cute chick pic. I can't get mine to stand still long enough to get a great pic.

Here is my newhampshire rooster Zeus.He isnt very normal.He has more upstraight body and a hard time maturing.But he is a Newhampshire.

Zeus is a very pretty rooster & you get so attached to them. I have 2 & probably 3 roosters in my chicks. I am already so attached to them I don't know how I will let them go. Wish they would all get along but I know I can't have 4 roosters & 6 hens.

Back
Top Bottom