Chicken Breed Focus Project

We have 2 barred rocks in our first flock. They are my most sweet tempered girls. Usually the first and last of the flock to greet us, and the only ones that seek us out to be held.

Well let's see, We have 3 Delawares, 3 Ameraucanas, 2 Buff Orpingtons, 2 Black Sexlinks, 2 Black Australorps, 2 Wellsummers, and a Rhode Island Red. Who goes first?
lau.gif

I am new to chicken keeping this year and I love BYC. Thanks for starting this thread! It is so interesting to see pictures and hear firsthand about these breeds from members. I may have something to add as soon as my girls start laying. I have 1 RIR Little Brownie, 3 Golden Comets Chickie, Vacuum and Desi (named by my grandchildren!), 2 SLW Desi and no name yet and 1 White Ameraucana Pearl. Love them all so far!

i am in my second year of keeping chickens. My first batch of three hens- i ordered buff orphingtons, but received red sex links! it turned out to be a very happy mistake. they are great for living in town. they dont fly over fences, are quiet (For a hen), and they are just like my dogs in that they run to the gate every time i open it to see what i have. They have great friendly manners. I am currently raising a second batch that i ordered just a few days ago. I ordered two red sex link (Simply because i love that breed now!) and one buff orphington. She was actually an impulse buy. they had received a double order on their chicks at the feed store this week. Im not worried about having 5 sex link and one BO, she is already the boss of the other two red sex links! She has been named "Bossy Cow" after a family joke where my brother called his wife that! :) anyway. the red sex link have proven to be a GREAT backyard hen.

I would like to see some weekly focus on some of the heritage breeds that are becoming rare and in need of saving from extinction. For example: Langshan, Holland, Buckeye (good mousers), Lakenvelder, Dominique, Cubalaya, Java, Rhode Island White, Jersey Giant and Delaware to start. Many of the afore mentioned are good foragers, hardy, friendly dual purpose homestead breeds that can handle cold, wet weather. Did I mention good egg layers too? I just got a Dominique which is on the "watch" list regarding breed scarcity. I wanted to get a Buckeye as well, but the chick hatch timing didn't work for me in light of the other chicks I had purchased three weeks earlier. I'm pleased to see some hatcheries are offering some of the rarer breeds now. It would be a shame to loose them.

Last edited:
I would like to see some weekly focus on some of the heritage breeds that are becoming rare and in need of saving from extinction. For example: Langshan, Holland, Buckeye (good mousers), Lakenvelder, Dominique, Cubalaya, Java, Rhode Island White, Jersey Giant and Delaware to start.
These breeds are all on the list we prepared for the project
smile.png
We have a long, long list of breeds that we are going to do focus threads on. We're guessing it would probably take over 2-3 years to get through them all!

As and when we start threads, I'm going to update this thread with links to the new thread and add them to the list in the second post, so if you want to keep track and see when "your" breeds come up, the easiest would be to subscribe to this thread, then you will get a notifier each time we post an update here.

Hi everyone, I began my first flock in Jan. Now I have 7 different breed of wonderful hens and roos. 31in all. Every time I go out in the yard they all follow me. I feel like the pied piper!! I have 4 Americanas. They are very calm and can't wait to get those beautiful eggs. I'm interested in helping Rhode island whites breed. Is there a breeder near austin, tx? Waiting to hear from anyone. Love all your articles. Mary

I have 4 delawars. One of them comes to me and wants her chest rubed and nearly goes to sleep when I hold her. I wasn't aware that they were endangered. Really like the breed.

Back
Top Bottom