Chicken Breed Focus - Sebright

Pics
1st Sebright Egg!!! We're all very proud of our little "Trouble". Not only did she lay her 1st egg, but she's doing great in her training. When DD or I hold out an arm & say "UP" she hops on eagerly. Today I've been calling her from farther away & she will fly about 2-3ft to land on my arm. (You have to remember that this is a crazy, independent, young pullet, so just having her come when called is a big achievement.) My end goal is to have her fly several feet feet & land on my arm when called........ Beats chicken chasing! [COLOR=B42000] [/COLOR] BTW- Trouble looks much larger in the pic due to the camera angle. DD is holding her forward, so Trouble & the egg look bigger in proportion.
That is amazing that she jumps on your arm on command!

That is amazing that she jumps on your arm on command!
Thanks. It started by simply holding & shaking the treat can on the opposite side of my arm. I said UP & touched my fingers to her shank - like one would do for a parrot. In order to reach the treat can, she had to step onto my hand. As soon as she did, the treats were given along with some praise. Much repetition - about 2-5 min per day. She dislikes being held, so I had to come up with a way to quickly catch her (other than wait for roosting time.)

Thanks.  It started by simply holding & shaking the treat can on the opposite side of my arm.  I said UP & touched my fingers to her shank  - like one would do for a parrot.  In order to reach the treat can, she had to step onto my hand.  As soon as she did, the treats were given along with some praise.  Much repetition - about 2-5 min per day. She dislikes being held, so I had to come up with a way to quickly catch her (other than wait for roosting time.)

Thanks for this info! I am very tempted to try this out....

The only down-side of the training is that "Trouble" follows me wherever I go. LOL She always wants to do our training and is constantly nearby or underfoot waiting for my call. A couple times I have reached out to pick up something & ended up with a Sebright on my arm. I only reward her when she does it on command, so hopefully she won't surprise me too often. Before training she sometimes would land on my shoulder or head. Thankfully she now knows my hand & arm are more appropriate.

The only down-side of the training is that "Trouble" follows me wherever I go. LOL She always wants to do our training and is constantly nearby or underfoot waiting for my call. A couple times I have reached out to pick up something & ended up with a Sebright on my arm. I only reward her when she does it on command, so hopefully she won't surprise me too often. Before training she sometimes would land on my shoulder or head. Thankfully she now knows my hand & arm are more appropriate.

She sounds like quite a personality!
smile.png

Trouble update:
Today I got Trouble to fly about 10 ft to land on my arm. I have to make sure I stay perfectly still so she can land properly. It's definitely a trust building exercise. Likewise DD has been practicing with her. She has Trouble up to about 3 ft jumps. I never realized how much fun a small flying bird could be.

Trouble update:
Today I got Trouble to fly about 10 ft to land on my arm.  I have to make sure I stay perfectly still so she can land properly. It's definitely a trust building exercise.  Likewise DD has been practicing with her.  She has Trouble up to about 3 ft jumps.  I never realized how much fun a small flying bird could be.

Thanks for the update! I am enjoying hearing about the training of Trouble! Inspired by you, I got my hen to perch on my arm a couple of days ago, at which point we both discovered that she is too heavy for me to hold up.:) I could feel her rolling her eyes at me.

Thanks for the update! I am enjoying hearing about the training of Trouble! Inspired by you, I got my hen to perch on my arm a couple of days ago, at which point we both discovered that she is too heavy for me to hold up.
smile.png
I could feel her rolling her eyes at me.
lau.gif

Trouble's BFF is a Dominique. She will also perch on my hand/arm, but when she does, I feel like I'm holding a giant hawk. Thankfully she doesn't "jump" onto my arm. Bigger birds don't seem to have the agility. That's a very good thing because most of our birds are Orpingtons.
Can you imagine having this big girl land on your arm?

Back
Top Bottom