Chicken Breed Focus - Serama

These are my first seramas. Got them at a steal of a price, plan to use their bloodline and mix with another bloodline to hopefully get a nice one going. They are not table trained, have spent their whole life in a cage, but I'm trying to work with them.

The Serama[COLOR=252525] breed originated in Malaysia, apparently through the crossing of Japanese and Malaysian bantams. The modern breed is attributed to the efforts of Wee Yean Een from Kelantan, who named the breed "Serama" after Rama, the title of the Kings of Thailand. There are no written standards for the breed in its native country, though they do have an overall guide on scoring and judging for competitions in Malaysia. Many breeders have a style or type that they breed to, but breeders often keep several "styles". Hence there is quite a lot of diversity in Malaysia[/COLOR]
In the USA, the Serama breed is promoted by a couple organisations, the The American serama association (ASA) and the Serama Council of North America (SCNA). This council helped to introduce the Serama to North America in various National Poultry shows. In the spring of 2004 a Serama only-show, known as the Cajun Classic, in Baton Rouge, Louisiana was held. The "American Serama" as put forth by the Serama Council of North America has gained acceptance by the APA and the American Bantam Association, as of April 2011. In early 2012, another group known as the American Serama Association was formed to help gain APA and ABA acceptance of more varieties of Serama.
In the UK, Seramas were initially imported in 2004. Birds were imported from both the US and directly from Malaysia. In 2005, a small group of Serama owners and enthusiast decided to form the "Serama Club of Great Britain", the first Serama club in the UK. They went on to established the standard for the Serama breed for the UK. Seramas are still relatively rare and expensive in much of mainland Europe, with the Netherlands probably having the largest number of Seramas outside the UK. Most of the stock in the Netherlands are descendent from birds/eggs imported from America and from the UK.
In France and other European countries they are increasing in popularity with 4 classes of seramas.

[COLOR=333333]Details:[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]
[TR] Breed Purpose Ornamental [/TR] [TR] Comb Single [/TR] [TR] Broodiness Frequent [/TR] [TR] Climate Tolerance Heat [/TR] [TR] Egg Productivity Low [/TR] [TR] Egg Size Small [/TR] [TR] Egg Color Light Brown [/TR] [TR] Breed Temperament Friendly, Easily handled, Calm, Bears confinement well, Quiet, Docile [/TR] [TR] Breed Colors/Varieties This breed is not standardized yet. The Serama Council of North America is working towards ABA and APA acceptance of the white serama first. The currently recognized colors of the SCNA are White, Blue, Wheaton, Black-Breasted Red, Black, and Black-Tail Buff. These should be recognized by the ABA and APA after the white serama. A popular variety of the serama is the silkied serama. They are accepted at SCNA sanctioned shows. [/TR] [TR] Breed Size Bantam [/TR]
[/COLOR] Pic by @nurseshelly Pic by @Sally Sunshine Pic by @Brookhavens Pic by @austinhart123 Pic by @YB192004 BYC Breed Reviews: https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/serama BYC Breed Discussions: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/415294/american-serama-thread/0_30 https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/615865/traditional-serama/0_30 https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/622175/silkied-serama/0_30
[COLOR=000000]Do you own Seramas? Are you a Serama breeder? If so, please reply to this thread with the your thoughts and experiences, including:[/COLOR]
[COLOR=000000] [/COLOR]
[COLOR=000000]· [COLOR=000000]What made you decide to get this breed?[/COLOR][/COLOR]
[COLOR=000000]· [COLOR=000000]Do you own them for fun? Breeding? Some other purpose?[/COLOR][/COLOR]
[COLOR=000000]· [COLOR=000000]What are your favorite characteristics about this breed?[/COLOR][/COLOR]
[COLOR=000000]· [COLOR=000000]Post some pics of your birds; male/female, chicks, eggs, etc![/COLOR][/COLOR]
L

Lost my beloved serama hen yesterday anyone out there know where I can find another in Virginia or maryland

Last edited:
I breed American and Malay type. I also mix between the two to improve type. Here are some of mine.

This fellow here is one of my Malay/American types.

Tyson is full on Malay.

Here is an American boy.
The reason I worked so hard to get the Malay was to add hardness to the feathers. As you can see....Thor in the bottom picture has looser feathers. I love the colors of the American type so I have been working to improve the tail feathers and leg length of my current American birds with the use of the Malay.Here is a pullet I hatched this year that I am in love with.

This breed is so fun to work with. It does have challenges. They do prefer warmer weather but my American bloodline does just fine outside in the winter using tarps to block wind without extra heat. However my Malay line is less hardy and I bring them in the winter.

Last edited:
What made you decide to get this breed?
I have always thought these little birds were incredibly amazing. Just recently I decided that I wanted to breed and show them.

· Do you own them for fun? Breeding? Some other purpose?
I own Seramas for both Breeding/showing purposes and fun. :)

· What are your favorite characteristics about this breed?
I love their small size, their posture, and I also love how many varieties they come in!
"Life is like a box of chocolate. You never know what your gonna get," Forrest Gump [Tom Hanks]

· Post some pics of your birds; male/female, chicks, eggs, etc!

Might post pics in 2018.

I just hatched 11 Seramas last week and I already love them! No two are exactly the same color, and they are sooo sweet and tiny. They were the first breed that I wanted when I started with chickens, but couldn't find any for a while. I'm so glad I finally got some.
can you tell me how you hatched your serama please. i am getting conflicting advice. any advice would be brilliant.

can you tell me how you hatched your serama please. i am getting conflicting advice. any advice would be brilliant.

I just set a couple dozen earlier this week. I run mine with no water in the incubator, which maintains around 30% humidity. This seems to work well for me, it's naturally very humid where I live. I have incubated them upright in Brinsea Octagons and also laying down, but I prefer upright.
Humidity around 70% at hatch time. I am hands-on, and will assist these babies if they have pipped an not progressed in 20-24 hours. I've lost too many that pip and can't hatch, so assisting has saved many for me.
I'd be happy to help you along the way with any specific questions.

Back
Top Bottom