Chicken breed identification

1 maybe white rock or Leghorn.

2 red sex link or maybe starlight green egger

3 either Cinnamon Queen or some type of Easter egger

4 probably brown Leghorn cockerel

5 probably Sapphire Gem

6 Ancona, unless it is a bantam.

7 Not sure on this one! Probably some type of hatchery hybrid. Not a black star.
That white and black one could possibly be ancona mix sounding from what the chick looked like
ancona chicks look like2.jpg

5 probably Sapphire Gem

7 Not sure on this one! Probably some type of hatchery hybrid. Not a black star.

Agree with this mostly. McMurray has Whiting True Greens instead of Starlight Green eggers and Blue Sapphires rather than Sapphire Gems, but they're essentially the same thing for the purposes of a backyard flock. OP, can you get side shots of the birds lacking them, especially that last mostly black one?

Sorry 6 doesnt have red-orange eyes not Ancona

Most chicks hatch with dark eyes that turn bluish, greenish, or brownish until they're several months old. My Ancona didn't get her orange eyes until she was about 5 months old, looking at her pictures from when she was that young. Baby and juvenile eye colors are rarely what their adult eye color will end up being.

Edited to add some thoughts.

Last edited:

5 probably Sapphire Gem

That white and black one could possibly be ancona mix sounding from what the chick looked likeView attachment 3239415
Yes. This is exactly what she looked like when she arrived. 😀

Thanks folks! I am learning so much about chickens from this thread!
Will post some more side shots tomorrow. :D

Agree with this mostly. McMurray has Whiting True Greens instead of Starlight Green eggers and Blue Sapphires rather than Sapphire Gems, but they're essentially the same thing for the purposes of a backyard flock. OP, can you get side shots of the birds lacking them, especially that last mostly black one?

Most chicks hatch with dark eyes that turn bluish, greenish, or brownish until they're several months old. My Ancona didn't get her orange eyes until she was about 5 months old, looking at her pictures from when she was that young. Baby and juvenile eye colors are rarely what their adult eye color will end up being.

Edited to add some thoughts.
Some new side shots.
1,2. They both started off a chipmunk-looking chick at 1 day old. Likely a female and a male of the same breed?
3. Side of the black and white.
4,5. They both looked all black at one day old. Then one of them developed white linings on the chest.

Attachments

• 20220829_074123.jpg
    20220829_074123.jpg
    593.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 20220829_073741.jpg
    20220829_073741.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4
  • 20220829_073847.jpg
    20220829_073847.jpg
    968.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220829_073728.jpg
    20220829_073728.jpg
    461.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220829_073711.jpg
    20220829_073711.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4
1 and 2 are Light Brown Leghorns, a female and a male.
3 is an Ancona.
4 I'm truly puzzled. I don't see anything that looks like that on McMurray's website. 🤔 I wonder if they have some sort of new hybrid they don't have listed yet.
5 strikes me as a black sexlink with no red showing through yet, but could also be the same thing as 4 or even an Australorp or Jersey Giant.

I’m new to chickens but would have to say 3 is definitely Ancona. Looks just like my baby does. 4 is beautiful! Interested to see what others think! Good luck !

Back
Top Bottom