Chicken breed question on French Black Copper Marans...

Sisu

Hatching
Mar 25, 2020
Hello, I have been raising Chickens for 2 years now and this Spring I ordered a breed of Chicken I am not too familiar with, the French Black Copper Maran. Last Spring I raised some assorted breed Marans with my older birds and really liked the dark color of the eggs. Mostly I have green, blue and light tan eggs but the addition of Marans brought a tan egg with dark speckles and a lovely dark speckled egg. I did some reading and found that the French Black Copper Marans lay one of the deepest egg shades. I was able to find a hatchery selling "French Black Copper Marans" they state they have feathered feet, so that was hopefully a good sign. I placed an order knowing there is a good chance they may not lay as deep an egg color as I am hoping if they are not a full FBCM. They are listed for about 10$ a chick, I had the understanding that these Chickens were fairly rare and costly. My question is, was this a good deal or are they likely not the real deal? How rare are they? I love chickens so its not going to matter. FBCM's are really stunning birds hopefully they are just more common now.

Last edited:
Black Copper Marans are the most common pattern here in the US. Cuckoo Marans would be a close second.

Price depends greatly on quality. $10 a chick from a hatchery would be kinda high in my opinion. $10 a chick from a quality breeder would be about average.

Back
Top Bottom