Chicken Breeds for new Chicken owner? Help

Jason,

We got six Buff Orpington chicks in April of 2013, after doing exhaustive research on the best backyard breeds, including a lot of great tips from forums here at BYC. We have not been disappointed! The chickens now lay big brown eggs, have very good natured & playful personalities, and are relatively quiet. They have absolutely no fear of our two dogs, and act like puppies when they see us coming out to feed, water, or clean their coop. Each one has a specific personality, Blue is bold and inquisitive, Orange pecks feet and dogs noses and is hilariously protective of her nest when shes on it, etc. Most of them have no problem being picked up and carted around, and love to sit in your lap while the dogs sniff at them jealously. They're also big beautiful birds aside from their good nature. We have mentioned that watching the chickens can be as mesmerizing as watching a campfire. I can say definitively that my family made the right choice with Buff Orpingtons, but I know there are other similar breeds. Good luck man, and stay in touch. There are a lot of good people people here at BYC that are VERY willing to help with both usual and tricky questions regarding your chickens.

A&M
BTW, absolutely GO HAWKS! All the way this year!

I really appreciate the input you've given me though-out the thread Wyandottes7!!
I cant wait to get my little fluff balls, its a little more work than i was looking for but i do belive it will be well worth it, plus who doesnt love a fluffy little ball of feathers with legs that goes cheep cheep. haha.

Andericana - I was actually hoping for a post like yours about the Buffs! Im still very high on those big fatties and really like the local input. Great site with great people and info. Thank You local buddy

Thanx a bunch!
Go Hawks!

Back
Top Bottom