Chicken Breeds

What makes her 'hatchery quality'?

Most importantly, the lack of leg feathers. Brahma should really have fuller legs. Her whole body should be fuller, and her comb might not be a homozygous pea, but a modified pea. I'm not too good with combs so the last I do not say with certainty

What makes her 'hatchery quality'?
Most importantly, the lack of leg feathers. Brahma should really have fuller legs. Her whole body should be fuller, and her comb might not be a homozygous pea, but a modified pea. I'm not too good eith combs so the last I do not say with
Right on.

The thing with hatcheries is quantity over quality. Being a business, they are trying to breed and sell as many birds as possible for profit. This means they are more focused on choosing birds with higher egg production, since the better layers the parent stock are, the more eggs they hatch. They are far less concerned with selective breeding and making sure the closest birds to the SOP (Standard of Perfection) are being bred. Because of what and they way they are breeding for, birds from hatcheries are usually healthy and decent layers, but rarely do they have the correct feather color, leg color, body shape, posture, size, markings, etc. that the breed should have.

I'm new to chickens, and I just got 9 hens of various breeds. How can I tell what breeds they are?
Hello! Glad to see a new chicken friend here on BYC! I may not have the greatest advice though I'll try my best. 1: Look if you have any roosters, that will be causing mix breeds, 2: If you have mixed breeds take a wild guess on they're pattern, feet, comb, and eyes. 3: See where you got them from! Did you get it from tractor supply? Or did you get from a hatchery? I know these aren't helpful though these are ideas that help me out. Stay stay & stay hydrated!

And Betty looks like this
1708361873855.png
I found this on the web https://www.bing.com/images/search?...0D0189DDF16A1A7ADBEE4D&selectedIndex=15&itb=0 of a sussex chicken?

Back
Top Bottom