Chicken Breeds

Sussex have straight combs and clean legs. The bird posted by OP, which is a light brahma, has a rose comb and feathered shanks.
The Light Brahma has a pea comb, not a rose comb.

All Brahmas have pea combs.

Rose comb is caused by a different gene, and looks different than a pea comb (although it can be hard to tell in some photos, depending on how cooperative the chicken was.)

One of my hens looks like this ..
That would be a Prairie Bluebell Egger or Ameraucana.... but possibly Easter Egger too. Where did you get her? & What color eggs does she lay?
And Betty looks like this
Purebred Light Brahma. @Mygooseandrooster, the reason it's not a Light Sussex is because it has feathered feet... the only breed I know of that has this Columbian feather patterning and has feathered feet is a Light Brahma.
That's great. Thank you. How about this little lady?
That is a poor quality Brown Leghorn. Leg color is off but everything else points to a Brown Leghorn.

The Light Brahma has a pea comb, not a rose comb.

All Brahmas have pea combs.

Rose comb is caused by a different gene, and looks different than a pea comb (although it can be hard to tell in some photos, depending on how cooperative the chicken was.)
Apologies, I know they have pea combs. Not sure why I thought rose in the moment.

That would be a Prairie Bluebell Egger or Ameraucana.... but possibly Easter Egger too. Where did you get her? & What color eggs does she lay?

Purebred Light Brahma. @Mygooseandrooster, the reason it's not a Light Sussex is because it has feathered feet... the only breed I know of that has this Columbian feather patterning and has feathered feet is a Light Brahma.

That is a poor quality Brown Leghorn. Leg color is off but everything else points to a Brown Leghorn.
I am going to see if I can post a picture of one of my hens on here, soon. Cause I've got a mystery chicken too! Pic may not come right away.

Back
Top Bottom