Chicken cannot stand or walk

Grandma Quinn

Chirping
May 29, 2016
Girard IL
I have a 4 year old hen that started limping a few months ago. I could not find anything wrong. Yesterday I found her in her run swatting unable to move. She cannot stand nor walk. She can kick her legs and curl her toes around your finger but she cannot use them to stand. Her wings are down. Around her eyes are red and today the her left eye is closed. She is eating mush and drinking okay. No nasal discharge but I did give her some VetX just in case. She is in the house and trying to keep her warm and cozy. There is a small cut that looks like it is healed on her left foot and her leg is warm to the touch compared to the other one. I just don't know what else to do except keep her comfortable and hand feed/water her.

Hi Grandma Quinn

Have you seen any signs of swelling in the head either in her comb or wattle? does she have any signs of foaming from her eyes?

Is she pooping normally?

Hi Grandma Quinn

Have you seen any signs of swelling in the head either in her comb or wattle? does she have any signs of foaming from her eyes?

Is she pooping normally?
she is eating fine. she had a limp a few months ago in one leg while jumping from perch. she can kick her legs but cannot stand on them she falls over. her poop is normal. one eye is closed...the other one was really red but the color is returning to normal. she is very alert as well. no foaming around eyes. no swelling in comb or wattle....but the other chickens started pecking at the comb before i brought her in

Can you post a photo of the healed cut and same leg? I do wonder if she is suffering from an infection based on the warm leg.
I wonder the same thing and I think you are correct about an infection. I took a few photos and noticed some red areas. Would that make the right leg not usable as well? I put her in a chicken sling type pouch otherwise she lays on her side. The first pic is of her left foot..I think infection. The second of her right foot. She cannot stand on either leg.

Attachments

• IMG_1233[1].JPG
    IMG_1233[1].JPG
    527 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1232[1].JPG
    IMG_1232[1].JPG
    351.6 KB · Views: 29
I wonder the same thing and I think you are correct about an infection. I took a few photos and noticed some red areas. Would that make the right leg not usable as well? I put her in a chicken sling type pouch otherwise she lays on her side. The first pic is of her left foot..I think infection. The second of her right foot. She cannot stand on either leg.
Here she is in her sling bag.

Attachments

• IMG_1228[1].JPG
    IMG_1228[1].JPG
    319 KB · Views: 29
Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease, and have you added any new birds to your flock in recent months? Most chickens that get Mareks disease usually get symptoms in their first year, but it can affect older birds if they are later exposed. Tumors or masses of infection can press on sciatic nerves and can cause lameness. Does she lay eggs anymore? Salpingitis and egg yolk peritonitis can sometimes cause walking difficulty. I would probably remove her from the sling at times to rest and sleep. Those are great to get them upright and for feeding.

Back
Top Bottom