Chicken cannot stand or walk

It may be paralyzed. She could have been injured or have neurological symptoms from Mareks disease. Is she still eating and drinking? I would probably consider her quality of life if she goes downhill.

It may be paralyzed. She could have been injured or have neurological symptoms from Mareks disease. Is she still eating and drinking? I would probably consider her quality of life if she goes downhill.
pick her up and she kicks it...trying to make a sling but little success since i have no idea what i am doing

It really does sound more like Mareks unfortunately. Here is a good link with pictures of chicken slings:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

I did a sling like the one above using a tub. I usually take her out at night and put her in a carrier. Wondering if I should just keep her in the sling at night as well. Also I noticed if I put her up to high where her legs are off the ground they tremble. We were wondering if she had gotten beat up because her right eye was closed for awhile and the other day I took a wet cotton ball to it because it looked like a scab and her eye opened some. Her comb was pecked at bad but it is healing. She still cannot stand....I don't know if I should bandage up the leg or not. No signs of broken bone.

Sorry that she is no better. Is she still eating and drinking well? Does she move her legs and toes? Is the cut on her leg healing? It is possible that she might have broken the leg, but if she has Mareks, it would have to be confirmed either with a blood test or a necropsy after death. A broken leg takes several weeks to heal. Is it better for her if her legs touch the floor? I hope that you see some improvement, but I would consider her quality of life if she doesn’t get better soon.

Back
Top Bottom