Chicken cheek bump. Abscess? Bee sting? Other infection?

Happylittlefarm

Hatching
May 3, 2023
One of my hens caught my eye today with an enormous bump on her cheek. The swelling is so bad she can hardly see out of that eye. There doesn’t appear to be any cuts or stings in the outside of her face. A quick look inside her mouth and I can’t see anything unusual. The bump is quite firm and warm. She is eating ok but does seem a little lethargic. She’s two years old.

Looking this up I suspect: an insect sting (possibly inside her mouth), abscess, or some other type of infection. I’ve read that chickens do not respond to antihistamines so I haven’t given her any. If it is an Abscess I would want to be sure before trying to drain it. If antibiotics are the preference I don’t know which to give. I have given meloxicam to animals before but not a chicken. I have landed abscesses on animals before but not on chickens. Again, I don’t want to put her in more pain or cause more of an infection by lancing if it’s not actually an abscess.

I put a message out tonight to my farm vet (no idea if she’s chickens though). In the meantime I have her separated in a dog crate incase she’s contagious and to keep others from bothering her.

If my chicken experts out there can advise I would really appreciate it.
B65A3D94-000D-44A5-99E4-24A172BAFE75.jpeg
24DE8925-2F83-4766-9ADE-0D48147BB26E.jpeg
6925ECBB-7061-4D23-9156-F9B0DCC970A3.jpeg

I don’t have anyone here with me today to take a photo of the inside. I looked though. Looks like it’s free of abrasions, a healthy, but a bit swollen in the inside of the cheek. Not blocking food.
Also no smell

I wish her the best. I am not at all experienced with this so i don’t feel comfortable giving any advice, but i really hope she gets better and recovers well.

If this is a reaction to a bee or other insect sting, you can give her children's benadryl, 1/2ml childrens benadryl only, liquid orally. Wait 24 hours to see how she does as whether to give her another dose.

How is your chicken doing? Did she get better? My chicken seems to have the same condition. I’ve been giving her baby Benadryl as some TwoCrows suggested. It’s the 3rd day. Her eyes are still barely open. I’m not sure if she’s getting better.

Back
Top Bottom