Chicken colors; genetics

catdaddyfro

Crowing
11 Years
Sep 16, 2009
Vernon Parish
I once was toodling around on the web and ran across a pie chart for chicken colors, now I can't seem to find it.

If I remember correctly it had a Jungle fowl type roo in the center and pied out all the different colors that chickens come in now.

Anyway if its still on here I bet the bycer's know where to find it.

catdaddy

Last edited:
Ok, I am trying to get the dun color, so I can make some fawn silver duckwings. What I am thinking is you just add white? Can some one please help me with this issue I am having? Thanks in advance.

Dinky318

Thanks Tim that's it.

Ive been looking for this for two nights now and here it is. I finally decided today that if I'd post about my search on the BYC that someone there would know exactly what I was looking for. That's why we come here for is to ask ques. and gain knowledge, right.

Thanks again

catdaddy

P.S. Dinky maybe someone here will jump right on that for you. I can't/ wouldn't even attempt it as I'm just getting my feet wet or might I say muddy right now into the genetics of chickens. Ive been raising them all my life but still dont know jack about them other than what lays well and how to make them produce well.

Last edited:
Quote:
You have to breed to a bird that carries the dunn gene. Breeding to recessive white or dominant white bird will not get what you want?

What variety of birds do you have to work with?

Tim

I have several Bantams, I hope you can help me. I have no idea what carries a dun gene.

My batams:
Porcelain D'Uccles
Porcelain
Wheaton
Blue
D'Anver Quail
Quail
Ginger Red
Brown Red
BB Red
Silver Duckwing
Black
Self Blue
Self Blue D'Uccle

Dinky318

Quote:
None of those have the Dun gene, Dun breeds just like Andalusian Blue, look through Ideal's OEG bantams, I know they have fawn duckwing, maybe even solid Duns. Sandhill also has Dun OEGBs, but they call them chocolate.

Thank you so much, at least I will know where to start. I may just go to ideal and buy some;)

Dinky318

Chocolate (abbreviated choc) is the name of a sex-linked recessive gene that produces the chocolate variety when a male chicken carries two doses or a female chicken carries one. Dunn (abbreviated I^D) is an autosomal allele of dominant white that in one dose produces the variety chocolate and in two doses produces the variety khaki. I have never been clear as to whether fawn is one or two doses of I^D.

To the best of my knowledge, choc is not leaky, so there is no evidence of its presence in a male with one copy.

If you are wanting exhibition birds, you are better to find a breeder with fawn silver duckwings than to order from a hatchery. It will take much longer to perfect your project. What breed are you working on?

Does anyone have a simple explaination on how the chocolate color is produced? I saw a picture of a chocolate orpington and it had to be one of the prettiest colors I have ever seen.

Back
Top Bottom