Countryhippie

Chirping
Aug 29, 2021
Massachusetts
I am completely new to chicken keeping, I have 4 hens and two roosters. All my chickens are a little over 5 months old and acting completely normal. Still eating, laying and running around like normal. Over the past few days I noticed one of my roosters developing these scab things on his comb, they seemed to be healing but tonight they started looking bad again. I know you will say the two roosters are fighting, but I have NEVER once seen my roosters or any of my hens fighting and I am with them a lot. Lately its been below 30 in Massachsetts so I moved my chickens into a large coop I made in my garage. My garage is not very well insulated, but it is a lot warmer than outside. I can be out there in a light sweater and be perfectly fine, so I know my chickens must to be warm enough. At least thats what everyone has said. They do go out during the day for a couple hours but don't like the snow or cold wind so they prefer to stay in the garage on very cold days.

Anyway I attached quite a few pictures of my chickens combs can you please tell me what may be wrong with them. Sorry if the photos are little blurry, I didn't realize how hard it is to get chickens to stand still to take a picture of them.
IMG_3355.jpg
IMG_3363.jpg
IMG_3356.jpg
IMG_3378.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3358.jpg
    IMG_3358.jpg
    469.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3350.jpg
    IMG_3350.jpg
    295.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3346.jpg
    IMG_3346.jpg
    423.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3352.jpg
    IMG_3352.jpg
    339.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3359.jpg
    IMG_3359.jpg
    326.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3360.jpg
    IMG_3360.jpg
    783.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3365.jpg
    IMG_3365.jpg
    885.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3372.jpg
    IMG_3372.jpg
    357.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3373.jpg
    IMG_3373.jpg
    377.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3361.jpg
    IMG_3361.jpg
    679.2 KB · Views: 5
I think being they are indoors more for the winter the may peck each other. Try giving them interesting things to eat, like a head of cabbage to keep them busy.

I think being they are indoors more for the winter the may peck each other. Try giving them interesting things to eat, like a head of cabbage to keep them busy.
Maybe, I will get them a head of cabbage and try that, but I have never seen them peck each other. Is there anything I can do that you know of to help heal the peck wounds?

What can I do for the dryness? What would have caused that? How can I heal the pecking wounds? I have never seen them peck each other but I am worried the hens will do it now as the wounds are so prominent.
The dryness is from the air being dry due to it being winter. I wouldn't put anything on it, except maybe a thin layer of Triple Antibiotic ointment(Non pain Relieving) to the dry areas plus wounds.

Back
Top Bottom