Chicken combs

Some of our older chickens are like sleeping while standing and laying down and one her comb is pale pink but she is onry with the other chickens and eats and drinks fine. I know chickens don't like to give way that there sick. Her poop is black and white but runny some.
I'd suggest giving her some medicated feed and although I might be wrong it might just be that they are getting older and might be getting ready to pass on, but hopefully that's not the case and the older hens just need some medicated feed and plenty of soft shaded places to rest and nap in. Older animals including people tend to sleep alot when they get old. It's like they treat it as if it's a hobby. LOL

Do you mean feed with coccidiostat in it? Birds can only benefit from it when they are young as far as I know. Usually, older birds have already built up a resistance to Coccidia, but they can still get overrun by it, but less often. Also, if the bird is sick, they would need corid. Maybe that is what you are thinking of?

You can try getting them some electrolyte/vitamin mix and can give it to them in a second waterer. You also might want to give them an exam to rule out internal laying, or external parasites (let me know if you need to know how to do that). You can try to deworm them, too, but Gigachad is right, many chickens can succumb to diseases and issues in just a few years.

Some of our older chickens are like sleeping while standing and laying down and one her comb is pale pink but she is onry with the other chickens and eats and drinks fine. I know chickens don't like to give way that there sick. Her poop is black and white but runny some.
Can you post photos?

I'd suggest giving her some medicated feed and although I might be wrong it might just be that they are getting older and might be getting ready to pass on, but hopefully that's not the case and the older hens just need some medicated feed and plenty of soft shaded places to rest and nap in. Older animals including people tend to sleep alot when they get old. It's like they treat it as if it's a hobby. LOL
Medicated feed (Chick Starter) in the U.S. contains a very tiny amount of Amprolium which is a Coccidiostat. There's no antibiotics in the feed.

My husband bought some striker and vitamins also we have DE so we are gonna try mixing all this in her feed and the others and see if this helps. Thanks for you comment

Your very welcome I don't want people worrying about their chickens when their are solutions and I'm also happy that other people are giving their opinions on what you should do.

Back
Top Bottom