Chicken coop and run on top of pallets as flooring

arubio92

In the Brooder
Jul 8, 2023
NS, Canada
Hi, I'm looking to add an additional layer of protection (predators) to my coop and run. I want to put 6 pallets as the flooring of my run, and in the middle put the coop already built. Build walls on the edges of the pallets and cover them with hardware cloth 1/2 inch. I have a few questions with this approach.

1. Do I still need an apron? Or can the pallets resist the digging under from racoons and foxes? Since they could dig and get to the under side of the pallets but would still need to break a 1 inch layer of wood (pallet boards, hardwood they seem like).
2. For a roof, what is better 1/2 inch hardware cloth and a tarp (for rain protection) or an OSB 1/2 inch thick with the tarp on top as well? Cost wise the OSB board would be cheaper but not sure what is better for predator prevention.

Cannot add picture in this post will see if I can add it in a reply

Please advice and thanks for your time

Picture for reference.

I have the pallet foundation built. I will be closing all holes with more wood, holes on top with 1 x 2 wood and holes on the sides with pressure treated 2 x 4 wood. The coop would be on top of the pallets and walls 6 ft high on all sides.

IMG_20230711_115618984_HDR.jpg

I would put the hardware cloth underneath the palate. and still consider an apron just so the rodents get the picture from the very beginning, along with any other predators. For the roofing, I'm a fan of the suntuf that you can get at big box stores. I normally put that directly over plywood for the coop and over hardware cloth for the run.
E2881515-2E86-4BB0-9BA4-FD543E70D6D9_1_105_c.jpeg
E30B09B8-8E91-4740-89BA-C89E17CE4E14_1_105_c.jpeg

I would put the hardware cloth underneath the palate. and still consider an apron just so the rodents get the picture from the very beginning, along with any other predators. For the roofing, I'm a fan of the suntuf that you can get at big box stores. I normally put that directly over plywood for the coop and over hardware cloth for the run. View attachment 3573802View attachment 3573803
Thanks, your pictures are very useful. I liked your setup and most likely will consider the suntuf panel in the future (once I save a little $$), for now the hardware cloth would provide the same level of protection right? The suntuf is more for protection of rain, snow, etc... ?

x2 on those pallets will provide shelter for rodents, and will collect spoiled feed (bacteria/rot issues) and poop from the chickens. What are you planning to put on top of the pallets for a run floor material? Cause if you just have pallets the poop will cake up quickly. I use pallets to set my rat proof feeders on in my covered run, and I'm forever knocking off poop from them. I wouldn't recommend them as a run floor unless you cover with wood chips or something and keep them very dry. Also, moisture from the ground will seep up into the pallets over time, and you will have rot/bacteria/mold issues inside the pallets, just based on what I see of your climate.

Definitely use a hardware cloth apron.

Whether you use hardware cloth covered by a tarp (I did that with great success) or plywood or hard plastic panels for your roof should be determined by your weather - do you need to account for snow load? Hardware cloth with a tarp probably won't cut it unless the angle is really steep and your supporting frame structure is sturdy, etc.

A link to my coop to give you ideas. I'm in North Alabama (high heat, high humidity, fair bit of rain, and no snow load).

https://www.backyardchickens.com/posts/26652217/bookmark

We have lots of predators, and no one has got in since I built the coop (over a year now). Lots of predators have tried and failed.

x2 on those pallets will provide shelter for rodents, and will collect spoiled feed (bacteria/rot issues) and poop from the chickens. What are you planning to put on top of the pallets for a run floor material? Cause if you just have pallets the poop will cake up quickly. I use pallets to set my rat proof feeders on in my covered run, and I'm forever knocking off poop from them. I wouldn't recommend them as a run floor unless you cover with wood chips or something and keep them very dry. Also, moisture from the ground will seep up into the pallets over time, and you will have rot/bacteria/mold issues inside the pallets, just based on what I see of your climate.

Definitely use a hardware cloth apron.

Whether you use hardware cloth covered by a tarp (I did that with great success) or plywood or hard plastic panels for your roof should be determined by your weather - do you need to account for snow load? Hardware cloth with a tarp probably won't cut it unless the angle is really steep and your supporting frame structure is sturdy, etc.

A link to my coop to give you ideas. I'm in North Alabama (high heat, high humidity, fair bit of rain, and no snow load).

https://www.backyardchickens.com/posts/26652217/bookmark

We have lots of predators, and no one has got in since I built the coop (over a year now). Lots of predators have tried and failed.
I was planning to use 6 mil poly on top of the pallets to prevent moisture from seeping up, on top of that woodchips to provide a nice flooring for the chickens and some sand to allow for dust baths and poop to dry. I know I would eventually be dealing with pallets rotting but I have quite a few on my property that have been 2+ years with no issues, so I wouldn't mind updating the floors later on with more free pallets if they last 2-3 years average, so my only concern would be the rodents.

Wondering if the apron would take care of that or should I scrap the pallets all together?

Thanks, your pictures are very useful. I liked your setup and most likely will consider the suntuf panel in the future (once I save a little $$), for now the hardware cloth would provide the same level of protection right? The suntuf is more for protection of rain, snow, etc... ?
It's good for rain but also letting sunlight in the run itself helps poop dry out and keep the run relatively dry and moisture free. Re hardware cloth--can never have too much of it... just a matter of a reliable quality source and reasonable price

Back
Top Bottom