Chicken coop is very muddy! help please UPDATE

SundownWaterfowl

Crowing
14 Years
Mar 16, 2008
Southern Columbia County NY
Well, I have my chickens in a large dog run 21'by 24'. They are in with about 20 call ducks. It is muddy by the water, but I have a seperate water for the chickens, so they dont have to drink the duck water.

The run is connected to the chicken coop.

Now since it has been rainy, the ground is so muddy. Its like a big mud bowl. I have a little shelter inside the dog run, so that they can go under there. It is covered by a big piece of wood covered by a tarp, so that 5'by5' area stays very dry. There is lots of hay and straw in there. It is also dry underneath the chicken coop.

Now what do I do about all of this mud. I feel very bad for the chickens, but it keep raining and it keeps getting muddy again.

When it is dry, I put down lots of hay and straw, but then it rains and keeps getting covered with mud again.

What would be good to put down. Right now it is just a dirt ground. Should I get a load of small rocks and put that down over the dirt?

This weekend I am going to by a tarp or two and cover the back end of the run so that it doesnt get as muddy.

Please help me conquer this mud problem!

Last edited:
Quote:
Assuming you are not using something toxic for gravel (and why would you), why on earth should that be a problem? It's not that they think it's grit -- it IS grit
tongue.png
They are *supposed* to eat it. They aren't going to O.D. on it any more than they do on your grit feeder
tongue.png

Sand or gravel would be the best solution to the o.p.'s problem (mixed size gravel, or even 'roadbase', will be the cheapest, and you're best off having some bulk delivered then wheelbarrowing it to the coop rather than paying premium prices for umpty little plastic bags). Put in at least 6".

Alternatively you could use largeish shredded bark or wood chips if you had no money for sand/gravel but a free source for the wood product. (DO NOT use shavings or finely-chipped wood products btw, they will just hold moisture and quickly become a horrible muck-swamp). The disadvantage of wood products is that even the coarse ones do decompose in time, which will create a horrible muck-swamp unless you shovel it all out (it'll be great for your garden though!) and replace it, *before* it gets to wet and fetid.

Also, roof gutters, redirecting downspouts, and some constructive trenching can often direct the water away so that it does not collect in the run area in the first place.

Good luck,

Pat

Last edited:
Sweet PDZ is also called Zeolite.
It is used in cat litter and added to potting mix in nurseries - as a water holding filler.
I am in Australia and I couldn't find sweet pdz anywhere until I finally managed to find a source of zeolite at a commercial nursery who was happy to sell me a few bags of it either granulated or powdered.
He buys it by the pallet load.

Read through this thread with interest, living in Hawaii (Big Island) we get ALOT of rain, in fact it's been pouring the past few days with more to come
1f635.png
The ground in my Run/Coop is clay, I got 3/8" gravel under the 2x4 base/perimeter, tossed some playsand under the "nest box"/dog house thinking they'd dust bath in it & have pine shavings in a corner under the roost. Above their "nest box"/dog house is a roost with a poop board under (idea from a BYC member, great idea, easy clean). The whole enclosure is 8x12 wrapped in shower curtain on EMT rods
1f609.png
It's been in operation since January this year and been very happy with it. I started off with 4 pullets that would free range during the day but now have 5 that aren't allowed to free range yet (I didn't raise them so they're in training).

Idea may not work for you all with the Winter cold but maybe you can work the shower curtain idea for covered runs?

Sand! See if you can get enough sand to cover the run. Three inches deep would be optimum, but probably any would help.

You also need to get your chickens UP, perhaps on platforms. These wet conditions are the perfect breeding grounds for coccidiosis.

Any chance of adding better shelter?

This is a rough year in wet areas. I've also heard that ducks and chickens don't mix well- perhaps others can elaborate.

okay, no drainage is a problemo! then you need to do as mentioned above and get some platforms.

what about some pallets that are safe to use (not the ones with pesticide as we have seen so much about)?

i have a lot of clay in my soil, but adding sand will create a better soil if you can till it in.

try planting some rye, that helps bust up nasty soil too and will be yummy for your chickie-poohs!

I use small rock (pebbles) that I buy from Wal-mart. I just pick up a bag whenever I have extra money, it's like $2.37 for a 50# bag. It's small enough that they can scatter it when the scratch around but has done wonders for the mud problem Iwas having when it rained.

Back
Top Bottom