Chicken coop remodel?

jkwhiteley

Chirping
Apr 25, 2018
Provo, Utah
I was given a small chicken coop from a friend, after I received two small chicks from my son's school. My other son is bringing home two more chicks this week, so I will have 4 chickens total. I have been doing a ton of research, and feel this inside space is too small. Am I wrong? I'm wondering if I should make the housing area larger or just the run? I don't have a large area to work with, but want my chickens to be happy when I eventually move them outside. This is my first time owning chickens so any help you can give me would be appreciated. I'm just having a hard time seeing 4 grown chickens in that coop during winter months, for example.

Unknown-4.jpeg

Chickens need about 3 square feet each inside the coop and 6-10 square feet in the run per chicken. I’m not sure if you are free ranging your chickens or not but your run is too small, and i think your coop is too. It would be best to build a new coop or to do a big upgrade on the current one. That’s one problem with buying a coop is that they usually can’t hold many birds and what the add says it can hold is usually 1/3 of that in reality.

I was given a small chicken coop from a friend, after I received two small chicks from my son's school. My other son is bringing home two more chicks this week, so I will have 4 chickens total. I have been doing a ton of research, and feel this inside space is too small. Am I wrong? I'm wondering if I should make the housing area larger or just the run? I don't have a large area to work with, but want my chickens to be happy when I eventually move them outside. This is my first time owning chickens so any help you can give me would be appreciated. I'm just having a hard time seeing 4 grown chickens in that coop during winter months, for example.

View attachment 1387916
You are absolutely correct.
That tiny coop/run will be fine for awhile.

But you'll be happier with a much larger coop and run, especially come a snowy winter.
Here's a good article on Space:
http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/how-much-room-do-chickens-need

..and ventilation:
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1048597/ventilated-but-free-of-drafts

What is your general geographical location?
Adding it to your profile can be very helpful.
It's easy to do and then it's always there!
upload_2018-5-14_18-40-36.png

Back
Top Bottom