Chicken Coop Windows

tucker0104

Chirping
7 Years
Feb 6, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Thanks in advance for the help. I am designing my chicken coop and haven't been able to find any cheap windows. I am just going to make windows out of chicken wire. How do you keep rain from coming in the windows or are you not concerned with rain coming in your coop? Can you have too many windows or are you wanting as little as possible?

Use hardware cloth instead of chicken wire for any windows. Add an awning of some sort of the outside if the prevailing winds blow toward your window. You will also want a way to block off windows on the side of the prevailing winds. I try to keep the windows on the leeward side of the building so I don't need to worry about this.

I am also designing my chicken coop and went to a Menards (I am in Iowa) and found some new wooden windows for $16 apiece, which I thought was a decent price - all i need to do is paint them. I am going to attach hinges to them so I can prop them open in the summer and put hardware cloth in the window frame to keep out critters. Since the windows are going on the south side of the coop, they will hopefully trap some heat from the winter sun and provide protection from the elements in these cold Iowa winters. Now if only this foot of snow on the ground would melt so I could get started building the coop!

What is the purpose of the window to you?

If it's lighting then you could just use translucent roofing. If it's ventilation then you can simply provide more of it along the eaves. Or as your in NC you may want to think of an entire open wall. Check out some threads on open air coops. It may give you some great ideas.

If it's a combination of the two and you really want windows then 2 windows open on opposite walls to provide cross wind in summer heat would work. You'll want to cover the openings with more than chicken wire, use hard wire cloth. Build the coop roof with sufficient overhang to keep rain out. Obviously if a driving rain storm you'd close the windows.

My problem with windows is exactly the reason people think they need them. Too much heat in summer. Solar radiation through glass is incredible, open the window for it. Well, if you've excellent ventilation without windows you'd not need them. If your climate is extreme heat, such as yours and to greater extent AZ, TX area, then open air coops are good ideas.

Just some thoughts.

As was already suggested, use hardware cloth to cover your window openings. I have screened windows on both sides, the top monitor section, along with practically the whole front of the coop, and the entry door is also screened with H/C. Look at the pic below. That's the way the coop is, for most of the year, everything open. I never run out and open and shut windows, or the entry door, when rain is threatening. I have found that the H/C blocks most of the rain. The floor inside may get a little damp, but never wet enough to worry about. Usually, the coop will dry itself out within a day of any rain caused dampness. You have proper airflow/ventilation in your coop, you won't have to be concerned about rain. (Disclaimer: Unless you live in a place that gets rain for weeks on end. Then, things may get a bit soggier than you would want.)

900x900px-LL-a1d4c001_IMG_1986.jpeg

If it's lighting then you could just use translucent roofing.

I had a coop with translucent roofing. It worked similar to an oven in the summer. My chickens wouldn't go inside during the day. They laid their eggs outside instead. I wouldn't use this type of roofing again.

Back
Top Bottom