Coop Windows

happy22chicken

In the Brooder
Jan 23, 2023
Nebraska
Hi,
I'm trying to build a 4x4 coop with a 4x8 run like this for 4 hens (black australorps) using the deep litter method and I live in the midwest. Do you think 1 window like this picture below, plus the rafter vents at the top and bottom of the roof will be enough ventilation for the deep litter method? I'm not sure about the exact size of the window.

If you have any suggestions for a better window design that I can build with just a skill saw, jigsaw, and miter saw, please let me know. I'm not sure how well the one below does with rain. I'm having a hard time trying to find instructions on how to do anything else for windows/vents with basic skills and this coop design/size.

1685465031890.png

many windows I n
1685464901796.png

1685465809470.png

I don’t think one would be enough. In the pictures there could be three under the roof extension as well. You will need cross ventilation in the coop and one window won’t give you that. Simple cut between the studs to add windows just like the one in the first picture and put the shudders on like in the picture. In the bottom picture there is no cross ventilation. Air comes through the open windows half way up and goes out the roof. It needs to move through the coop, out the far side windows as well as through the roof.

I am in St. Louis and have ducks. I also think that they need cross ventilation for the summers. I've toyed with doing the Wood's Open Air Coop Design that is adapted for southern locations, just because it.

Thank you! Yes there are vents in the rafters too(front and back side at the roof). I will work on the cross vents too then(run side and nest box side). I was hoping the chicken door leading to the run might count for ventilation, but I guess not enough :)

Thank you! Yes there are vents in the rafters too(front and back side at the roof). I will work on the cross vents too then(run side and nest box side). I was hoping the chicken door leading to the run might count for ventilation, but I guess not enough :)
Won't that be closed at night? I guess it depends a lot on how hot it is where you are. When our days are over 100 degrees and the nights stay in the 80s, the ducks really drag. I've never lost a duck in the cold but lost a 6 month old duck on a very hot day, so I worry more about the heat.

Back
Top Bottom