Coop Windows and Winter

happy22chicken

In the Brooder
Jan 23, 2023
Nebraska
Any suggestions at what temperature we should close some or all of our coop windows and coop door? The rafter vents above the windows will always stay open unless we have blowing snow or rain. We have 4 black Australorps(4 months old) and live in Nebraska. Trying do the deep litter method (TBD on how well that is going).
The coop has 3 main windows and the coop door.
Window 1: in the front, Window 2 faces into the run. Window 3: back side of the coop.

1698547888796.png

1698547909751.png

1698548060300.png

Not sure where you're located, but I personally would shut them overnight once the temps are hitting 40-50 (this is assuming you have good ventilation up above). Pop them back open in the morning.

Trying do the deep litter method (TBD on how well that is going).
Deep litter(damp composting) or deep bedding(dry)?
Nothing will compost on that floor, deep litter needs ground contact and moisture.

The 2 pics don't show if you have open soffits or the window on the run side.
Run side window could probably be left open as it's probably protected the the run roof.
Other windows will likely create a strong draft on the roosting birds as the coop is so short.

and live in Nebraska
Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1698586218764.png

Deep litter(damp composting) or deep bedding(dry)?
Nothing will compost on that floor, deep litter needs ground contact and moisture.

The 2 pics don't show if you have open soffits or the window on the run side.
Run side window could probably be left open as it's probably protected the the run roof.
Other windows will likely create a strong draft on the roosting birds as the coop is so short.

Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 3670700
Thank you @aart and thecatumbrella! I do have soffit vents above the front and back windows, but not above the window on the run side.
I added my location information to that location field, thanks.

Aart, I was trying to go for deep litter method like Carolina Coops had... https://carolinacoops.com/chicken-coops/standard-features/deep-litter-beds/ . Also, someone else with a similar design as mine..(modified Simple Suburban Dad design) made it seem like deep litter was possible.
But, I can only get about 6-7 inches deep in my 4x4 coop and I don't have any sources of moistures in the coop besides the droppings and humidity. I could bring in moist dirt from my compost bin, and mulch from my 4x12 run, but I don't know if that would work or how often and how much would be needed.

If that won't help, then I guess I better start focusing more on the deep bedding method.
I found this deep bedding article https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/using-deep-bedding-in-a-small-coop.76343/

Based on that article, it looks like I will need to do the following
1. Every 6-12 weeks...fork out my entire coop, build a new compost pile, put in fresh bedding

2. Every 10 days to 2 weeks to fluff the bedding with my manure fork and/or add a layer of fresh bedding.
Does that sound right for the deep bedding method?
Thank you

Back
Top Bottom