Chicken Coop

Cooper Gs Coop

Chirping
Mar 4, 2017
Central New York
This is our chicken coop. An old garage from the 20s that was a gravel filled foundation. I poured 2 foot of concrete so nothing can dig thru. I sectioned off the garage to make the coop 10'x10'x12' high. Right now the chicks are 7 and 5 weeks ish so I still leave the red light on for them in case they need it. There is no opening into the coop bigger than 1/4". We have the usual suspects, foxes, raccoons, opossums, hawks, bald eagles, condors, mink and Fischer cats. I went overboard on the safety and structure of the coop figuring I'd rather put extra effort into beefing it up rather than have them all get eaten and start all over. Any feedback whether negative or positive is welcomed. This is our first year so I'm sure I missed something. Thank you

Last edited:

Using real maple tree roosting bars. Since I cut firewood I figured why not spoil them with the real thing. Happy chickens = good egging right lol. My roosting branches are about 4' off the ground.

The green snow sled is what I'm using as a cover for the food bucket that will be hanging from the rafter. For now with them being so young they're using the water bucket and food bucket from their brooder.

Last edited:

Nesting boxes. Still housing my tools from building it all lol. Put a pc of wood hinged to the front so I can keep them out until the mornings. From what I've researched they will make a mess if allowed full access 24/7. The 5 gallon water bucket is in the background.

Hardware cloth, 1/4", covering the openings along the roof. Very good ventilation and no drafts so I didn't want to cover them completely. And on the outside of the coop, covering the gap is steel mesh roughly 1/4" as well. Not taking any chances.

Back
Top Bottom