Chicken Crossings Southern Virginia New to Chickens

Chickencrossings23

In the Brooder
Jun 18, 2023
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
Hello, yes I am brand new to chickens. I have always wanted to get some, and I FINALLY convinced my husband to say okay!! LOL

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

My first batch of 18 chicks hatched on June 5, 2023, so they are 2 weeks old today at the time of this posting.

(3) What breeds do you have?

I got a variety of breeds that are good egg layers and do good in warm climates. I have 3 rhode island reds, 3 buff orphingtons, 3 leghorns,
3 black astrolorps, and 6 plymouth barred rocks. I have one little barred rock that seems to be my buddy, and I named her "Scrappy" LOL

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

I really enjoy the caretaking of the chicks. It is calming and relaxing, and of course FUN!!! I love to watch the chicks grow and I love to
plan for their next stages. I spend a lot of time researching how to care for them and what things they will like. I have lots of questions
since I am new to raising chicks and this forum will be so helpful to me as I continue my journey with my brood!

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

I like to lift-weights at the gym to try to stay strong and healthy. I enjoy hiking and trail walking in the woods. I really enjoy being
out at night under the moon and stars. I just rescued a little beagle named Lila, and she is my new buddy. So far she has NO INTEREST
in the chicks, but we will see how that goes.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

I work part-time at the postal service, but frequently end up working more than that. My husband works for vintage racing so he travels
a lot so keeping the chicks keeps me busy. My son lives with us and he is always in and out with work and spending time with his girlfriend.
I love them so much, it's great to have these 20+ year olds around- they keep me "hip" and "young" LOL

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D

I found the forum while Google searching for simple questions such as: how long to give the chicks electrolytes, when should I upsize my brooder?
How should I handle the temperature monitoring at night? when should I switch to a heat plate? etc. Upon researching these questions- you find
TONS of conflicting answers, so the best thing I thought would be to have discussions with experienced keepers as well as newbies so we can
all learn together and help each other out!

Attachments

• Mattie side eye.jpg
    Mattie side eye.jpg
    256.5 KB · Views: 41
Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow

Congrats on your new chicks! They sure are fun, aren't they?! Don't blink, they grow up SO fast.

You picked a nice variety of breeds, will make for a colorful chicken yard for sure!

If you have any questions about them along the way, be sure to ask. Welcome to our community!

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
Hello, yes I am brand new to chickens. I have always wanted to get some, and I FINALLY convinced my husband to say okay!! LOL

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
My first batch of 18 chicks hatched on June 5, 2023, so they are 2 weeks old today at the time of this posting.

(3) What breeds do you have?
I got a variety of breeds that are good egg layers and do good in warm climates. I have 3 rhode island reds, 3 buff orphingtons, 3 leghorns,
3 black astrolorps, and 6 plymouth barred rocks. I have one little barred rock that seems to be my buddy, and I named her "Scrappy" LOL

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
I really enjoy the caretaking of the chicks. It is calming and relaxing, and of course FUN!!! I love to watch the chicks grow and I love to
plan for their next stages. I spend a lot of time researching how to care for them and what things they will like. I have lots of questions
since I am new to raising chicks and this forum will be so helpful to me as I continue my journey with my brood!

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
I like to lift-weights at the gym to try to stay strong and healthy. I enjoy hiking and trail walking in the woods. I really enjoy being
out at night under the moon and stars. I just rescued a little beagle named Lila, and she is my new buddy. So far she has NO INTEREST
in the chicks, but we will see how that goes.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
I work part-time at the postal service, but frequently end up working more than that. My husband works for vintage racing so he travels
a lot so keeping the chicks keeps me busy. My son lives with us and he is always in and out with work and spending time with his girlfriend.
I love them so much, it's great to have these 20+ year olds around- they keep me "hip" and "young" LOL

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D
I found the forum while Google searching for simple questions such as: how long to give the chicks electrolytes, when should I upsize my brooder?
How should I handle the temperature monitoring at night? when should I switch to a heat plate? etc. Upon researching these questions- you find
TONS of conflicting answers, so the best thing I thought would be to have discussions with experienced keepers as well as newbies so we can
all learn together and help each other out!
Welcome to BYC!!

Back
Top Bottom