Chicken Deworming Protocols

ourlilfarm2015

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 2, 2016
Northeast NE
Okay I am a newbie to the world of chicken ownership. I have 10 silver lace Wyandotte hens that are approximately going on 4 months old as well as 2 ducks. They are on crumble feed that is grower mixed with layer in the process of switching completely to layer (they also get scratch grain more as a daily treat and kitchen scraps - have also watched them kill and eat a mouse that was quite the massacre to witness that's a story for another day lol). I have my dogs, horses, and barn cats all on their own deworming protocols per species but I am curious if my 10 chickens and 2 ducks should be on some sort of protocol as well. I assume they get parasites just the same as any other critter and I also am aware they can get coccidiosis.

Now as far as deworming methods/products I am more so interested in veterinary approved/recommended methods vs the homeopathic type but will take all recommendations into consideration. Would love if someone's recommendations are actually what their vet told them to do (we have zero vets in our area that deal with chickens).

Chickens aren't longed lived enough to worry about deworming unless you actually see there's a problem. Most animals shouldn't be wormed on a schedule anymore as it makes worms resistant to wormers and many no longer work. I have never wormed any of my chickens and don't believe it's necessary under most circumstances.

That's good to here. Hopefully other give you some good ideas on what they do. I have read about using garlic and pumpkins for a natural approach.

I would like to get some input on what i do.

I keep my chickens nest boxes clean. When I see poppy eggs, I add 1 TBS (Table Spoon) of food grade DE (diatomaceous earth) their feed and mix it up real well. When they have eaten all their feed I repeat the DE treatment. Then i resume nomal feeded. It isnt a few days later they lay clean eggs again.

I read somewhere poopy eggs means worms but decided to try DE for teatement and it seems to work great.

Last edited:
@ourlilfarm2015 There are very few products approved for poultry....finding a vet well versed in poultry might be tough.
Ask the place that does your other fecals if they know about poultry parasites.

@crealbilly just because you read it on the internet, does not make it true.
You will find many make many claims for the wondrous cure-all DE...many of them are false.
DE does not kill internal parasites and poopy eggs are can be caused by many things not just a worm infestation.

@ourlilfarm2015
  There are very few products approved for poultry....finding a vet well versed in poultry might be tough.
Ask the place that does your other fecals if they know about poultry parasites.

@crealbilly
 just because you read it on the internet, does not make it true.
You will find many make many claims for the wondrous cure-all DE...many of them are false.
DE does not kill internal parasites and poopy eggs are can be caused by many things not just a worm infestation. 

Thanks aart i realize there are some outlandish DE claims out there. Im no medical doctor or vet so i cant speak to it from that perspective. But what I can say is its working for me so far.

Quote: But did you get a fecal done to know whether they actually had worms?
Did you look at any other reasons the eggs were poopy.....mine just track the poop in on their feet then step all over the eggs.
Until a problem is specifically identified, and other causes succinctly eliminated, any 'cure' applied with apparent effectiveness is inconsequential.

Back
Top Bottom